Head torch for ultra running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ale1 15 Oct 2020

Hi all, I am in the market for a new headtorch that would work well for ultras so battery life is key, assuming covid stops cancelling them all that is! Does anyone have anything that they recommend? 

yorkshireman 15 Oct 2020
In reply to ale1:

Pretty much any modern headtorch will get you through the night in an ultra (especially in the summer when you're only looking at 7-8 hours of proper darkness). In races like the UTMB where there's a chance you'll be out two nights, or even just one night but potentially a long way from help if it fails, they enforce you to take a spare anyway.

FWIW I've got a Petzl but I've forgotten the model name. Cost about 90€. I bought a better one when I did the TDS as I needed the spare for race regs but it fell out of my backpack somewhere so I lost it. They were both rechargeable via USB but you could slip out the battery pack for a spare if you needed to.

Neil Williams 15 Oct 2020
In reply to ale1:

Depends what you prefer.  I actually prefer quite a weak one (plenty of cheapo options on Amazon/fleaBay) so it doesn't kill my night vision which is generally quite good - I just want enough background light so I don't trip over anything, and tend to carry a more powerful hand torch in case I really need to see far ahead.  I really don't like a powerful head torch as that limits what I can see to its beam.

goose299 15 Oct 2020
In reply to ale1:

Bought a Petzl Swift RL after losing my Myo XP

Picked up the torch and a spare battery for just over £100

I’ve used it twice so far and been very impressed. 

dovebiker 15 Oct 2020

Find something that takes 3 or 4 conventional AAA batteries - use Energizer Lithiums and you'll have plenty enough power (30-50% more than an equivalent size rechargeable). You don't need mega-lumens for running, 150-200 is usually enough to see far enough ahead. I've got head torches from Petzl and Silva - both are good.

dread-i 15 Oct 2020
In reply to ale1:

I've got an LED Lenser Seo 3. Two levels of white light, along with flash. A red mode, along with flash. You can tilt the beam up and down. You can lock it so it doesnt go on in your pack, if knocked. Takes 3aaa and was a less that £30. I find it plenty bright enough for running over the moors in darkness. Also doesnt bounce around, or come loose. The only draw back I'd say is the battery compartment can be a bit fiddly to open.

Removed User 16 Oct 2020
In reply to ale1:

One with a green light is nice for running in easy terrain, more spread than a red light, less than white and less dazzling on the eyes. Princeton tec do some.

PPP 16 Oct 2020
In reply to dovebiker:

> Find something that takes 3 or 4 conventional AAA batteries - use Energizer Lithiums and you'll have plenty enough power (30-50% more than an equivalent size rechargeable). You don't need mega-lumens for running, 150-200 is usually enough to see far enough ahead. I've got head torches from Petzl and Silva - both are good.

Sounds like Petzl Actik Core to me. 

That’s what I have used for years now since 2018, used it for Tranter’s round as well as reccing Ramsay, night shift of Ramsay Round support of Ring of Steall and multiple days on trails and hills... I think if it’s good enough for Ring of Steall at night on medium setting, it’s a good enough headtorch! 
I sometimes carry rechargeable Eneloop batteries as spares, but typically prefer a Petzl E+lite as a spare as it’s lighter than batteries and gives more redundancy (still never used!).

My only gripe is that it doesn’t have a lock so you need to be careful. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...