GEAR NEWS: Harrier Helvellyn PRO Carbon Z-Poles - £89

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 23 Nov 2022

Premium quality, fixed length poles perfect to finish any ultra in style. 100% 4K carbon and a streamlined and feather light design weighing in from only 170g per pole. Also comes with free quick start support guide.

Read more

Pedro50 23 Nov 2022
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Good to see an inner wire rather than BD kevlar.

TobyA 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

> Good to see an inner wire rather than BD kevlar.

Why? Have you snapped the Kevlar? I guess wire is going to weigh a little more?

Pedro50 23 Nov 2022
In reply to TobyA:

> Why? Have you snapped the Kevlar? I guess wire is going to weigh a little more?

Yes Kevlar snapped, BD said not repairable (handle glued on) really disappointing as carbon poles still sound. The Harrier poles are heavier but look a good option to consider. 

TobyA 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

I broke the bottom section of a BD carbon pole. BD EU replaced it for me, although something in the reply let me know they were doing me the favour, i.e. they would do it but they didn't have to. I'm just wondering why they could replace one section of pole but not the kevlar cord inside - odd.

I have broken a number of other styles and makes of poles in the past, but all aluminium. But I think I managed to break the BD carbon ones possibly quicker than any others. It has made me a bit suspicious of carbon fibre for hiking poles - although it has to be said I'm reviewing a pair of Silva carbon fibre poles for UKC currently with no issues at all. But then they are telescopic while the BD ones are folding design so that might be a stronger design.

Pedro50 23 Nov 2022
In reply to TobyA:

It's ironic, my sister bought a pair on my recommendation in a Black Friday sale. Three days into our walk on the GR11 she stumbled on a difficult descent (I'd suggested she take a detour but hey ho) and snapped the pole near the base. BD replaced it without quibble. Hence I was pissed off at their subsequent response my situation. 

To be fair they had been very well used but to design something unrepairable for the sake of a 50p bit of string is unacceptable in these times.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...