harness for wall->ski mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomGB 06 Feb 2019

Hey, 

Had a quick look through the forums and couldn't see a recent harness thread. 

Mine has given up the ghost after 6 years, what's the latest out there?

Ideally 5 gear loops though not make or break. Will be used at the wall, multi-pitch trad, hot rock, ski touring. I realise there will be compromises as a result and comfort is valued over weight. 

Any suggestions are much appreciated. No arcteryx please, I haven't won the lottery yet. 

brianjcooper 06 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

I have a Wild Country Syncro II harness. It has twin locking buckles which helps with adjustment when wearing extra clothing in cold weather. It also has 7 gear loops.

Not too heavy either.

vscott 06 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

DMM mithril might fit the bill. Inexpensive compare to some, pretty light for a fully adjustable harness, 4 gear loops + a decent size rear haul loop - all low profile so fit under a rucsack ok, and for the weight decent padding for comfort.

top cat 06 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

For serious ski mountaineering you really want a harness with a high tie-in point..........these tend not to have very many gear loops, but you can add your own.

matejn 06 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

Take a look at Camp Alpine flash or Petzl Adjama. 

neuromancer 09 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

I think this is a situation where the compromises are not worth it because any harness that is comfortable enough for multi pitch trad and sport / wall use will not be easy to fit over skis and boots.

Harnesses are pretty cheap - you could buy a discounted "Generalist" - sport and trad harness and still have money left over for a specific ski touring harness (that has leg loops that completely open)

In reply to neuromancer:

A pet hate of mine is the modern "nanny state" pre threaded harness buckle. 

It is difficult to get a harness now with simple double back buckles which make donning the harness when wearing boots or skis or stood on a precarious ledge much easier. 

Either look for a whillans type nappy harness or struggle with what has become the industry standard. 

If I can be trusted to tie a knot, surely I can be trusted to double back a harness buckle. 

Jenny C 09 Feb 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> A pet hate of mine is the modern "nanny state" pre threaded harness buckle. 

> It is difficult to get a harness now with simple double back buckles which make donning the harness when wearing boots or skis or stood on a precarious ledge much easier. 

Also a PITA of you have broad hips. 

Fiona Reid 09 Feb 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

BD Technician?  One of the few winter harnesses that still entrust the user to be able to double back a buckle. The leg loops can be fully undone too if required. 

smithg 09 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/climbing/harnesses/the_bod_and_alpine_bod_h...

Cheap, light, robust and straight forwards to operate even with skis/crampons/gloves on.  I use one for everything including warm, sweaty, climbing walls and summer sports climbs and the wide webbing leg loops are perfectly comfy taking falls and hanging on the rope.

kevin stephens 10 Feb 2019
In reply to TomGB:

I think this would be a compromise too far. A ski Mountaineering harness (presumably for crevasse rescue and occasional abseil?) will need to have through the legs type donning , go over many more layers than your rock climbing harness and take up minimal bulk in your pack. The Black Diamond bot is cheap enough to have as a dedicated ski harness. For climbing there are lot of choices to meet your needs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...