Guidebook swapping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DanielHurley 25 Apr 2021

Does anyone know of any sites of groups online where people can swap guidebooks?

Mark Stevenson 26 Apr 2021
In reply to DanielHurley:

Trying to "swap" things is almost always utterly pointless.

Just sell your surplus stuff online quickly for a decent price then look to buy what you now want, either second-hand or new.

There's a fairly even split between people using for sale posts on here, the Facebook Marketplace Outdoor Gear Exchange Group and eBay listings when it comes to selling climbing guidebooks. No one option seems massively more popular or effective than the others, however my first choice these days is normally the Facebook OGE group. Stuff that doesn't sell there, I'll often list on here but I find email more time consuming to use rather than FB messenger. 

(There is a separate Facebook Climbing Gear Exchange group but most of the time it's just duplicate posts from the OGE group.) 

Wanted posts on here for things like guidebooks tend to work pretty well. On Facebook OGE they seem to be a bit more hit and miss but can still be effective.

Google's search algorithm for books keeps getting better and it now very effectively captures second-hand copies listed on eBay and abebooks.co.uk. So if a cheap copy of a guidebook is available it generally shows up easily now. 

I mainly collect vintage guidebooks but I probably buy and sell a couple of hundred per year. Facebook and here work great for selling both older and newer ones but most of the time for buying the most recent ones I end up just buying new using the cheapest online bookseller (other than Amazon) rather than trying too hard to find a private seller. 

Post edited at 00:58
OP DanielHurley 05 May 2021
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Thanks for the info mark, will try shift them on here and Facebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...