Great magazine clear out: lockdown reading

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Barlow 14 Oct 2020

Since varying levels of lockdown are not ending any time soon you know you need some daring tales of climbing from the past.

I'm having a serious magazine clear out:

• Climb issues 1-140.
  • Mountain issue 126 and 132-145.
  • On The Edge issues 18 to 163.
  • Climber November 2000 to October 2010.
  • High issues 59-267.

The sets might be missing a few issues in the above ranges, but they are pretty much complete. I’m quite happy for people to take single sets, but I’d prefer you take all the magazines of each type rather than just some of them.

They can be collected from Enfield (North London) or I can bring them to the Castle or Mile End climbing walls. You’ll need a fair bit of spare bookshelf though, for example the Climb magazines take up about 70cm width. They are stacked in Ikea cardboard sleeves with about 18 in each.

The sets are free but if you take one of the larger sets I’d appreciate it if you’d donate £5 (say) to Llanberis Mountain Rescue team.

MisterPiggy 14 Oct 2020
In reply to David Barlow:

Generous offer.

I can't take advantage, but nonetheless am touched by the gesture. In these difficult times, small things warm the heart.

j 😀

HammondR 14 Oct 2020
In reply to David Barlow: call me picky, but I am in search of 1 particular edition of Mountain Magazine. It is the one with a picture of Thierry Renault on the cover climbing Ma Dalton. An all time classic picture taken by my friend and winter landlord René Robert. I thought I had all the Mountain's after about number 30, but I can't find that one. 

Rene would be tickled pink if I could find it.

OP David Barlow 15 Oct 2020
In reply to HammondR:

Sorry but it's not the cover photo of any of the above Mountain magazines.

Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2020
In reply to HammondR:

> call me picky, but I am in search of 1 particular edition of Mountain Magazine. It is the one with a picture of Thierry Renault on the cover climbing Ma Dalton. An all time classic picture taken by my friend and winter landlord René Robert. I thought I had all the Mountain's after about number 30, but I can't find that one. 

It is Mountain 109, May/June 1986.

HammondR 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Good detective work there Rob! Is there any way you could email me a photo of that cover please? René would dead chuffed if I could send him it. Although he was/is a professional photographer, I think after 35 years the cataloguing and systems go to pot.

My address is r dot j dot hammond345@gmail dot com

Cheers.

Rob Parsons 15 Oct 2020
In reply to HammondR:

I will send you a photo; and, in due course, should be able to send you a better-quality scan.

The reason for that cover shot is that that edition contains the article 'Mont Blanc Rock', by Michel Piola. The article itself contains a couple more photos by Rene Robert, including another of the FFA of Ma Dalton. I'll get the lot scanned for you in due course.

I imagine that copies of Mountain 109 would be lurking on the Internet, available for purchase.

Edit: For example, Jarvis Books has a 'Fine' copy of Mountain 109 for two quid - see the catalogue at http://www.mountainbooks.co.uk/

Post edited at 14:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...