GPS with OS Maps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doghouse 05 Aug 2020

Hi

Looking for recommendations for a handheld GPS that includes OS mapping.  I already have the OS App on my phone, always carry map and compass etc so am looking for a dedicated unit.

Any real life experiences/recommendations?

Many thanks. 

Harry Jarvis 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

Can I ask why you're looking for a handheld unit? As far as I'm aware (although I'll admit to not having looked for some time), handheld GPS units have smaller and less useful screens than a decent smartphone. I made the switch from an Etrex 30 to my phone some years ago and wouldn't go back. 

OP Doghouse 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Just personal preference 

GrahamD 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

I don't know about "includes OS mapping", but I'm pretty sure my brother loaded OS onto a pretty big standard Garmin GPS.

I agree about not using the phone.  Always nice to know that's safely tucked up in waterproof place with full batteries just in case.

DaveHK 05 Aug 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> I agree about not using the phone.  Always nice to know that's safely tucked up in waterproof place with full batteries just in case.

I too think there's a lot to be said for a dedicated unit, robustness, redundancy etc.

OP Doghouse 05 Aug 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Includes or I can load them onto it from somewhere

Rick Graham 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

Using any touchscreen device in rainy weather is near impossible or at best very frustrating  in my experience.

PPP 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

I have Garmin GPSMAP 64. There’s a newer version (66) but they are pretty much the same. Works with winter gloves.

I carry it attached to a shoulder strap just by the hip or to the the shoulder strap itself (see photo below). Been frozen too many times, drenched, bashed against the rocks, etc. still works like new, minus small dent in the screen. Has replaceable AA batteries, which helps for longer trips. 

It is 4 or so years old now and hasn’t failed on me ever - saved my ass quite few times in whiteouts! 

OP Doghouse 05 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

Thanks PPP. I'm probably being a bit dim here but does that come with OS maps?

OP Doghouse 05 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

Just done a bit more googling and see that it does

ChrisJD 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

Map, compass, phone, GPS-unit.

Looks like you are planning on getting really lost

nickcj 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Doghouse:

I use the satmap active 10 when I want a dedicated GPS unit. You can buy os mapping on separate memory cards for it. I prefer the buttons over a touch screen when it's wet or I have big gloves on.

timjones 05 Aug 2020
In reply to PPP:

> I have Garmin GPSMAP 64. There’s a newer version (66) but they are pretty much the same. Works with winter gloves.

> I carry it attached to a shoulder strap just by the hip or to the the shoulder strap itself (see photo below). Been frozen too many times, drenched, bashed against the rocks, etc. still works like new, minus small dent in the screen. Has replaceable AA batteries, which helps for longer trips. 

> It is 4 or so years old now and hasn’t failed on me ever - saved my ass quite few times in whiteouts! 

I can second this as a recommendation, easy to use with real buttons rather than having to mess around with a touchscreen when it's raining or your sweat is dripping onto the screen.

The great thing is that as more people move towards using their phone it is possible to pick  up a secondhand unit at a very reasonable price.

OP Doghouse 05 Aug 2020
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Map, compass, phone, GPS-unit.

> Looks like you are planning on getting really lost

And if that lot doesn't work, I'll tie a feck off sized ball of string to my car bumper before I set off

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...