GPS tag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Not sure if what I want exists, but maybe someone can help me.

What I'd like to get is a very small and light GPS device with no screen and a big enough battery to last a day or so. I'd like to be able to turn it on, stick it in my bag and forget about it, and then at the end of the day download a .gpx track from it. Ideally it should be waterproof and also pretty cheap.

Does such a thing exist? 

Dave Baker SP5 03 Dec 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I'd look at the various pet trackers, though many come with as subscription based since they transmit your location via cell data (rather than waiting for you to download it manually at the end of the day).

Some of the vehicle trackers might work for you as well.

I wonder if buying an old fitness watch would work for you instead -- GPS onboard; doesn't matter if the specs are old or the screen is scratched up; and throw in a small battery pack and it'll last for hours.

PM 05 Dec 2021

No experience using one, but this might do the trick. Specs say 32hr battery life. Splashproof rather than waterproof. https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail

GrahamD 05 Dec 2021

Sort of thing budget "lifestyle" fitness watches do.  There are some great budget ones out there.

> Does such a thing exist? 

Yes. There are plenty of GPS/GPRS trackers that include logging.

Or any old phone with a GNSS receiver. Turn off wifi, bluetooth, mobile data and the screen, and it should last a day with a tracking/mapping app. I use OruxMaps with Android.

Marek 06 Dec 2021

Or possibly something like an entry-level GPS bike computer (e.g., Bryton Rider 15 or similar) are about £50? I doubt you'll find anything much cheaper.

Of course, if you already have a smartphone, why not just use that? It's free.

MisterPiggy 06 Dec 2021
In reply to Marek:

"...Of course, if you already have a smartphone, why not just use that? It's free."

I use Strava on my phone for all cycling, running etc. I haven't noticed the battery draining faster than usual.

If you already carry a smartphone, you're golden; if anxious about the battery, plug in an external one. I imagine you could run it for a couple of days non stop.

Wishing a good week to all, j

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...