Gortex jacket - Seal damage - Repair advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bonduman 18 Sep 2020

Hi there,

I have a Mountain Hardwear Gortex jacket and the internal tape seams have came away. Just wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to sticking them back down and what type of glue to use if any?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

BM

Iamgregp 18 Sep 2020
In reply to bonduman:

Oh, here was me hoping to read your story of how you were attacked by a seal and it bit a hole in your jacket.

Can't pretend I'm not disappointed.  

OP bonduman 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Ha Ha, might get a few more people looking at it now.....

marsbar 18 Sep 2020
In reply to bonduman:

http://www.petesy.co.uk/vintage-gore-tex-versus-mcnett-seam-grip/

My dad did my vintage goretex with this stuff.  I've no idea if he did the same method.  

markk 18 Sep 2020
In reply to bonduman:

I've recently re-glued the seams on a Gortex drysuit using  stormsure seam sealer diluted with their thinners. Struggling to link to it directly but search their website (www.stormsure.com/video) for the video titled "Drysuit Seam Sealing Repair with Stormsure + Thinner". Their seam sealer is similar to seamgrip, but the thinners allows you to dilute it to the consistency of water so you can paint it on with a brush.

GarethSL 19 Sep 2020
In reply to bonduman:

You can try with an iron to reactivate the original glue on the seam tape and press it back down. Can be a bit temperamental depending on how degraded the glue has become but has worked several times for me. 

PMG 19 Sep 2020
In reply to bonduman:

I used McNett Aquasure (urethane adhesive) on my old Goretex. It worked fine.

OP bonduman 20 Sep 2020
In reply to bonduman:

Thank you for all of your advice, much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...