Goretex delamination fix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, 

I was wonder if anyone has any ideas or recommendations for repairing delamination the layers of a goretex jacket.

Thanks

TobyA 25 Mar 2023
In reply to Thomas Hardbattle:

I don't think there is one unfortunately. My understanding is the lamination/gluing technology is what makes goretex as expensive as it is, so if it fails it's a bit like the engine of your car falling out. 

How old is it? Sometimes you can get delaminating items replaced under warranty.

If it's delaminated there's probably holes in the membrane, so unfortunately it will never be fully waterproof again. There isn't really a fix for this, it's just a limitation of the material. It's pretty sad that a garment that costs upwards of £300 will only last for two or three seasons of proper use, but there it is - that's what we've been taught to expect from modern outdoor gear. Don't get me started on boots.

In reply to TobyA:

Well it was manufactured in 1983 so 40 years old. So I don't really mind. I was just planning to use it for summer hill walking and possibly around town.

Just was hoping that it could've been returned to its former glory 

Myfyr Tomos 25 Mar 2023

There's this stuff called Paramo...

bouldery bits 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

There's this thing called Buffalo.... 

In reply to bouldery bits:

....if you want to be soaking wet and get heatstroke at the same time.

TobyA 26 Mar 2023

If the jacket is 40 years old I'd be really surprised if the un-delaminated sections were very waterproof still. 

Mark Eddy 26 Mar 2023

At 40 years old it's doing well. If you decide to replace, Paramo are well worth a look. They are constructed quite differently to goretex jackets and will work well over many years. I have a 15 year old Paramo Velez and it has been hammered with use. Still works well, just needs regular Nikwax treatment. Great environmental and ethical credentials too: https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/ourethics/manufacturing.php

In reply to TobyA:

surprisingly it is still very waterproof

In reply to pancakeandchips:

i found somewhat of a fix is where you iron it quickly on high with a lot of pressure and it puts the layers back together. It's still waterproof suprisingly

DaveHK 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Still works well,

This is very much a matter of opinion. I love it in the snow, in the rain I find it absolutely useless.

> i found somewhat of a fix is where you iron it quickly on high with a lot of pressure and it puts the layers back together. It's still waterproof suprisingly

That's great! I wonder if the ptfe membranes they used in the 80s were a bit thicker?

Ridge 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> At 40 years old it's doing well. If you decide to replace, Paramo are well worth a look. They are constructed quite differently to goretex jackets and will work well over many years. I have a 15 year old Paramo Velez and it has been hammered with use. Still works well, just needs regular Nikwax treatment. Great environmental and ethical credentials too: https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/ourethics/manufacturing.php

I have a Velez of similar vintage. Water pours in from the front and side zips, has done since it was new.

I have an even older Cascade that has never let me down.

TBH I think Paramo is a bit of a gamble. An individual garment seems to either work or it doesn't. Worth a try when they were usually available at heavily discounted prices,but I wouldn't buy one these days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...