Gore-tex Pro 40D or Gore-tex Active 30D for general use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oak28 12 Jan 2023

I'm looking for a waterproof for general hiking that I can use across 4 seasons in the UK (if that's possible). I won't carry a big heavy pack, 25-30l at most.

I'm caught between a ME Lhotse (Gore-tex Pro 40/80D mix) and ME Firefox (Gore-tex Active 30D).

I run hot so thin/active is tempting but my concerns are the Firefox might be too thin and not as long lasting as the Lhotse. As I'm not planning on scrambling through bushes or over rocks, maybe it'd be fine?

The ME Shivling would probably ideal but I can't find it on sale anywhere so isn't on my radar.

I'm pretty new to this so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

In reply to Oak28:

Personally if I only had one for all year I'd go Lhotse, potentially overkill in the summer but nice to have when the weather closes in on the hills and a durable bomb shelter in the winter months!

If you always carry a pack then the Lhotse will be a more durable option as it rubs on shoulders and back etc.

Lhotse does have pit zips so can get a nice breeze flowing!

If you want it the Shivling is also available from ME.com

Guy Hurst 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Oak28:

I really like jackets made from the Gore Active fabric, but they don't give the feeling of security in winter which standard Gore or Proshell jackets do.

As for durability, I've got a Gore Active jacket, I think made by Berghaus, that's lasted for years. But then I only wear it when it's really raining, not as a substitute windproof layer, and not usually during the winter.

OP Oak28 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Do you know the denier of your Gore Active jacket?

I just checked my old Patagonia Rainshadow and it's 30D. It has been ok for my use in winter. The Firefox is also 30D, but I don't know if 30D in one material can be very different to 30D in another...

OP Oak28 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks. I quite like that the Lhotse has a two way zip and a button at the bottom, so I could unzip it from the bottom without opening it fully... The Shivling looks good but is out of my price range when considering sale prices on the other two.

In reply to Oak28:

I owned a Lhotse, it lasted me 5 winters, 4 of them Orkney winters where it was in daily use in all kinds of weather, before I retired it due to zip failure, and failure of the membrane at the back of the neck. At the time I thought it the best jacket that I have ever owned, but the thin 40d fabric occasionally jammed in the zip - I am pretty certain that this contributed to its eventual failure.

I have replaced it with the ME Tupilak, which uses 80 denier fabric, and has a much more robust feel to it. And the zip doesn't jam! Despite using heavier fabric, the Tupilak is about the same weight as the Lhotse. It has less features though, no pit zips or side pockets being the most obvious, but I don't miss these. I love it - well worth the £265 that I paid for it two and a half years ago (Joe Brown/The Climbers Shop sale price).

George Fisher 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Oak28:

I bought the ME Tupilak Atmo last year which is the 30D-pro version of the Tupilak.  I wanted one jacket to do a bit of everything including winter climbing/ walking/ backpacking so went light.  It’s solid enough but the fabric does sometimes jam the zip and it’s clearly not as bomber as an 80D.  I’m very happy with it and would buy it again but if you didn’t need the lightweightyness I’d go 80D for longevity maybe.   Can’t fault it for weatherproofness but the hood is huge for use with a helmet so there’s another consideration.   Without a helmet it’s slightly too big and needs synching down.  I also couldn’t find a shivling and paid £250 for mine.  

In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Had a quick search and I have found the ME Tupilak for £279 from The Epicentre in Ambleside, a good price for such an excellent jacket.

Dave the Rave 12 Jan 2023
In reply to Oak28:

I’ve got an ME Kongur, 80d and a 150d reinforcements. 
It weighs 700g which is a lot lighter than my previous Changabang.

In the summer I looked at summer weight shells and couldn’t find anything worth buying that was only a couple of hundred grams lighter.

For the sake of 200g I decided to save the cash.

abcdef 13 Jan 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Any idea on the general body length of the Lhotse vs Tupliak?

VictorM 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Oak28:

The denier count is going to be only one component of how durable your GTX Active layer is. If you are wanting to use it as a general hiking and scrambling jacket that you're going to use with various pack weights I'd steer clear of it and opt for Pro-Shell instead. 

Unless you are like me and only wear rain gear when you absolutely have to and have a wardrobe full of softshells for all kinds of conditions and activities. But even then in winter I'd much prefer a full-featured 3L shell. 

In reply to abcdef:

> Any idea on the general body length of the Lhotse vs Tupliak?

Just measured from the neck seam to the lower hem on the back, 78cm for both, size large.

CantClimbTom 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Oak28:

Waterproof jacket for general hiking in UK and you want to spend out on RRP £440 (might get for £340 if you shop around) Lhotse? REALLY???  Yes understood it is a very nice jacket, but... That's like buying a Bentley coupe to drive to the shops.

What about RRP of £240 (might get for £140 if you shop about) https://www.berghaus.com/men-s-cornice-interactive-jacket-black/13139853.ht...

Front pockets are a bit small and not as good as Lhotse but the front zip is better protected from weather and you'll have an extra £200 or so left in your pocket

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Waterproof jacket for general hiking in UK and you want to spend out on RRP £440 (might get for £340 if you shop around) Lhotse?

The OP also said "that I can use across 4 seasons in the UK" and "I run hot". In which case a quality Gore Tex Pro jacket is a good call, money well spent. Wise in my opinion to spend good money on a bombproof waterproof jacket and scrimp on baselayers, fleeces etc - it is your first line of defence when the going gets tough.

OP Oak28 16 Jan 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

I've seen brand new ones pop up on eBay around the £200-£250 mark. Not too bad if it lasts many years. I'm not planning on paying full price.

I've received the ME Firefox and its a nice jacket but the Alpine fit means the armpits are quite high. It'd be fine most of the time but feels a bit tight over a few layers. Still undecided if I'll keep it...if I could find a deal on an ME Shivling around the £200 mark I think that would be ideal.

Post edited at 20:22
 wbo2 16 Jan 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:  the jacket you link to is 2L Goretex..  pro might ve the Bentley option , but in my experience its a very reliable, long lasting Bentley. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...