GOOD Customer Service - DMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iamgregp 17 Jan 2020

I'm normally the first to complain and moan about customer service so, for some balance, thought I'd mention a GOOD example for a change...

Broke a buckle on my DMM Flight bag (probably because I'm skinny and I'm forever yanking it tighter), so emailed DMM who got back to me the next day and popped a new buckle in the post for me.

No cost, questions or quibbles.  Brilliant.

1234None 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I have always found them a pleasure to deal with and a great, likeable bunch of people.  A few years ago I went into the Llanberis factory to talk to them about a full set of quickdraws that had corroded in Thailand.

They replaced them without question (I wasn't expecting them to) and asked if I'd be interested in seeing the corroded ones strength-tested on one of their machines.  So we spent an hour or so there while they did some tests - and if it is of interest, the damaged draws maintained over 80% of their strength despite serious corrosion and the fact that you could pick off the exfoliating metal with a fingernail 

adambwalls 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I had the same good customer service when I emailed to ask if I could buy a new buckle (i'd stepped on  my buckle so totally my fault) and they sent one out for free.

Phil79 17 Jan 2020
In reply to 1234None:

> They replaced them without question (I wasn't expecting them to) and asked if I'd be interested in seeing the corroded ones strength-tested on one of their machines.  So we spent an hour or so there while they did some tests - and if it is of interest, the damaged draws maintained over 80% of their strength despite serious corrosion and the fact that you could pick off the exfoliating metal with a fingernail 

Wow, thats interesting! How long where they in use to have corroded that much? I know Thailand has a rep for being hard on gear (bolts etc) but that sounds impressive. 

ericinbristol 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Same sort of story from me. Impeccable customer service from DMM.

OP Iamgregp 17 Jan 2020
In reply to 1234None:

Wow, that's great!  So cool of them to offer you to stick around and see how the draws tested.

The vast majority of my hardware is DMM, initially bought their draws as I thought they had the best feel of all the ones I tried, but when I got to know more about them and how they do business I've kind of built up a bit of a brand loyalty.  Good company that does good gear.

Basemetal 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

They went above and beyond in my estimation when I contacted them over a second hand "as. new" Apex pick I'd bought on eBay. It didn't look 100% - it had no paint markings- so I asked them if they thought it genuine. Holly asked me to send it to them and popped  a brand new one straight off to me.  10/10 for that.

cragtyke 17 Jan 2020
In reply to adambwalls:

> I had the same good customer service when I emailed to ask if I could buy a new buckle (i'd stepped on  my buckle so totally my fault) and they sent one out for free.

I had exactly the same experience with Berghaus a couple of years back.

OP Iamgregp 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

That's surely an 11/10?!?!

Basemetal 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Indeed So glad my ice tools, leashes, crampons, Pivot (and stichtplate ),50% ice screws, Bulldog 50% of crabs, have their name on... 

duchessofmalfi 17 Jan 2020

Similar with Petzl, Black Diamond and Osprey here after various encounters with feral kids, car doors, squeeze chimneys and general incompetence.

Ramon Marin 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

I had the completely opposite experience with my vector bag. The first week the fangs broke through the fabric and they told me to use gaffer tape to fix it, they wouldn't do anything about it. Disgrace

goose299 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Having seen your post in the Alpkit thread and the response stating you’re Alpkit sponsored, I assume you’re not DMM sponsored with that opinion. 

1234None 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Phil79:

> Wow, thats interesting! How long where they in use to have corroded that much?

Just a couple of weeks.  It's a weird effect of titanium bolts and unique rock chemistry, that causes exfoliation corrosion.  They seem to have addressed it by using a new alloy as the new set were also used extensively in Thailand with no problems

> I know Thailand has a rep for being hard on gear (bolts etc) but that sounds impressive. 

It can literally happen overnight with some alloys.  One day they looked fine and the next I could flake off the metal with a fingernail...really weird

1234None 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Wow, that's great!  So cool of them to offer you to stick around and see how the draws tested.

Yep - it was pretty cool to see them tested to destruction and amazing to see how strong they still were despite looking fairly shitty.

> The vast majority of my hardware is DMM, initially bought their draws as I thought they had the best feel of all the ones I tried

Same here - I have their draws (the set they gave me as replacements) and am pleased to report that they stand up well to testing in Thailand...I feel bad now as I never actually got back to them to tell them that the new alloy seems to not have this problem, but I hope they read this or have had some other feedback.  

> but when I got to know more about them and how they do business I've kind of built up a bit of a brand loyalty.  Good company that does good gear.

When one arrives at that sort of opinion about a company it is good to show loyalty for sure.  I personally seek out their kit now so while their replacement of my quickdraws was probably costly for them at the time, it is also good business in the long term, as I have bought a ton of their kit since.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...