Glue in bolt suppliers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inhambane 15 Jul 2019

Hello all 

A group of us have started a bolt fund and now we've got some funds we are researching where is best to buy our glue in bolts.  We have to use glue ins to prevent theft. 

Does any one have any recommendations for bulk purchases, UK or Europe?  The area is dry and not humid so marine grade titanium is probably not necessary. 

Does fixe distribute in the UK are they good value?

Would welcome to here you advice and experiences.  

Thanks 

galpinos 15 Jul 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Bolt Products is a good place to start, http://www.bolt-products.com/

Jim Titt on this forum is the owner. I particularly like his twisted series. It seems a very strong design to "key" with the glue and available in 316 stainless steel.

HeMa 15 Jul 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Our federation uses Fixe bolts, and they ain’t bad. But they have had delivery issues. 

SS316 as also not maritime environment. For glue, Hilti or Sormat. 

That said, Jim’s option certainly is a valid one. I guess it boils down to how many you need, at what price and How fast. 

GHawksworth 15 Jul 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Upandunder.co.uk sells all sorts of bolts and glue ins. Delivers globally

danm 15 Jul 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

The Fixe classic glue-in didn't fare that well in the tests I did, as the notches in the leg are barely adequate. They also have an exposed weld which isn't ideal for corrosion resistance. Their newer forged one piece PLX glue-in looks good, but it's more expensive.

Raumer look fairly good but I haven't tested them yet, and the Titan Climbing Eterna are the gold standard for extreme corrosion applications, although the lower off options are limited, expensive and not very aesthetic as the softness of titanium means the lower off ring is huge.

Petzl Collinox are very decent but again not cheap. Bolt Products are without doubt the best value bolt on the market, the main downside being the large hole needed. Another advantage is Jim can make them in any length, meaning you can use them even in very soft rock including soft sandstones.

The new EN959 standard has 3 classes of bolt and lower off. Class 2 is for outdoor use where SCC is not expected or been reported. Class 2 = EN1.4401/AISI316 or equivalent as a minimum. SCC is a problem in warm maritime environments, highly polluted industrial zones and in buildings containing swimming pools. This handy map from the UIAA will give you an idea of the sort of locations SCC has been found in: www.theuiaa.org/mountaineering/identifying-the-worlds-corrosion-locations/

I'm currently writing a manual for bolting for the BMC, happy to send you a draft copy if it's any use, just DM me.

Post edited at 14:47
 jimtitt 15 Jul 2019
In reply to danm.

Bolt Products are without doubt the best value bolt on the market, the main downside being the large hole needed. Another advantage is Jim can make them in any length, meaning you can use them even in very soft rock including soft sandstones.

> The new EN959 standard has 3 classes of bolt and lower off. Class 2 is for outdoor use where SCC is not expected or been reported. Class 2 = EN1.4401/AISI316 or equivalent as a minimum. SCC is a problem in warm maritime environments, highly polluted industrial zones and in buildings containing swimming pools. This handy map from the UIAA will give you an idea of the sort of locations SCC has been found in: www.theuiaa.org/mountaineering/identifying-the-worlds-corrosion-locations/

The smallest hole we make a bolt for is 9mm, you don't have to use the 8mm twsted leg bolts!

The UIAA map is incorrect and out of date, a lot of the previous evidence and research has been found to be wrong so the UIAA are basically starting over again.  No 316 resin bolt is known to have failed.

danm 15 Jul 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

The UIAA map is not incorrect, but it doesn't filter failures by type of corrosion or by the type of bolt or material. I get your point though. Research into SCC is a movable feast - when I did my degree in materials engineering the literature was adamant that 60C+ was required as well as stress and chloride ions. It's now accepted that it is possible at lower temperatures, and other factors appear to come into play when bolts are placed into mineralised rock because the same issues don't seem to be cropping up with construction bolts in concrete.

I'm in agreement with you though generally, and happy with our current guidance which is that good quality 316 resin bolts (like yours!) are a suitable choice for use on British sea cliffs. I'll reserve judgement about warmer environs until the work currently being done by the UIAA gives some more clarity on the matter.

edwardwoodward 16 Jul 2019
In reply to all:

Another plug for Bolt Products from me. I don't know much about the technical side of things but the twisted leg glue-ins are easy to use, quick to place, hard to drop and (something that doesn't get picked up on much) easy on the eye.

Jonathan Emett 17 Jul 2019
In reply to edwardwoodward:

Aesthetics! Hurrah! I really love the look of the twisted-leg bolt-products bolts. It seems such a shame to bury them in rock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...