Gloves/Mitts advice for Gondogoro La and Kilimanjaro please...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AntonY 30 May 2022

Hi all - been a while since I can find a recent thread but any advice on gloves or Mitts for Kilimanjaro and Gondogoro la pass would be great.

Last thing I want is cold hands to spoil the experience so any suggestions including specific gloves or mittens would be very appreciated.

Was looking at the outdoor research Alti mittens... Not sure if that's overkill for these trips.

(OR mount baker modulars or the arete gloves were also ones I was looking at.)

Thanks in advance!

CantClimbTom 30 May 2022
In reply to AntonY:

Not been on either mountain (so ignore me as needed), but assuming you mean summer (for Gondogoro) then I'd be surprised if these ordered slightly larger and worn with undergloves don't cover it https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/torres-peak-mitts/ which have a similar amount of primaloft insulation to the OR Alti.

Anyone like to validate this idea?

Post edited at 17:14
Iggy_B 30 May 2022
In reply to AntonY:

I think it depends on how cold your hands get.

I had really cold hands on Kili and was glad to have a pair of Rab Mitts (the old ones, this is  15 years ago) in the rucksack. It's the only time I can remember having cold hands on a mountain and I've been a lot higher than Kili.

Gondogoro, I've not done but have been very close to it on the Baltoro at a similar altitude and it was never that cold early morning in summer. You will set off early on this.

If you can afford them (and I assume you can because you can afford the trip) I'd go for the Altis. I would love a pair, but there's still nothing wrong with my old Rab ones apart from being very bulky so I can't justify owning another pair.

Babika 30 May 2022
In reply to AntonY:

Done Kili and remember it being bloody cold but OK in normal winter gloves. 

However on Elbrus 4 years ago I nearly got frostbite - I simply couldn't get warm and it was miserable until after sunrise. I came straight back and bought the OR Alti double mitts. They made a big difference at 6000m in Nepal.

If you can afford them buy, or borrow. It's really hard to bring warmth back into cold hands. 

OP AntonY 31 May 2022
In reply to Babika:

Thanks (and to Iggy_B &CantcClimbTom for the replies).

This clinch's it for me...I'll get the Altis

And then it's going to be a great excuse to get my monies worth and do some other high climbs in the future... Pretty sure that logic works

But appreciate the advice - and probably needed to hear that it might be as cold as people say it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...