Gloves Recommendation For Cold Hands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamesLamont 05 Aug 2020

Hi everyone

For years I’ve battled with cold hands in Scottish Winter and Summer Alpine. Tried different gloves and combinations, some cheap and some expensive. I’ve generally settled on a pair of silk liners and some snow shepherd “bin man” gloves over the top but they aren’t the best for manoeuvrability and with another Alpine trip on the horizon I feel that there must be a better system. Just curious to see what everyone else uses in cold conditions on long days.

bouldery bits 05 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

https://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_gloves

Not what you asked for but might be what you need.

veteye 05 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

Have you got Reynaud's phenomenon (RP)? (Also called Reynaud's syndrome.) If you have then addressing that may help, but it depends on why you have it too.

Essentially, when out in the mountains, do not just look to your gloves to keep your hands warm: Instead increase your core body temperature, by having more layers of clothing on. (That way you can add or take away layers of clothing, to change your temperature by a moderated amount).

Basemetal 05 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

I bought a air of Alpkit Rhombic when they came out and found them good and warm with enough dexterity to set up belays on Grade IV. All day use was fine with the only wetness being snow and spindrift getting in from the short cuff. I wasn't wearing any liners, but latterly started wearing a wrist cuff (a cut down sock) and had toasty fingers all day Scottish WInter. They seem to be discontinued though. Their longer cuffed version, the Shuga, should be an even better bet.

nickcj 06 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

Wrist gaiters and silk liners for me. Swap your gloves for dry ones when they are wet. Keep well fed and hydrated, avoid caffeine on the hill. A mesh base layer made the  biggest difference for me this year! No more sweaty back on the walk in and kept me warm on the climb. Oh and don't overgrip your axes or handholds... Being able to shake out by going leashless helps.

nniff 06 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

One size fits all polywotsit liners and BD punishers for me

In reply to JamesLamont:

Hi,

Not sure what your budget is but the below gloves are apparently awesome. I've got a mate that has really cold hands and they got some. says they do the job for him!

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens?or_highlights=193&or_product_ty...

Mr. Lee 06 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

Sounds like you're looking for one pair of gloves to rule them all. In my experience it's more about the combination of gloves. Warmer gloves for belaying, thinner more dexterous gloves for climbing. Getting cold generally whilst belaying often leads to hot aches once the climbing starts again, rather than due to what I am actually wearing whilst climbing. How thick or thin the gloves need to be comes down to a lot of experimentation as to how sensitive your hands are to the cold. Don't think there's much point in saying what I specifically use as it's what specifically works for me. I've personally found that if I keep myself suitably warm on belays then I can get away with surprisingly thin gloves once leading. I'm generally much warmer when leading all day verses seconding all day for example because of the varying length of time at the belays. 

Worth bearing in mind that cold extremities can be the symptom of a cold core. Nearly always in my case actually. Could be that you need more/better layers on your body, either when belaying or all-the-time. Good to be disciplined at the end of a lead and add some layers and change gloves. The best way to get warmer hands can sometimes be a better base layer or belay jacket. Food intake also plays a role in this as well of course. 

In reply to JamesLamont:

I have the same problem.  

Picking from the great points already made, what helps for me includes: gloves that are dextrous enough that I never need to take them off (that's when my hands get cold) and are still generously enough sized that they don't restrict blood flow; a suitable puffy/ belay jacket for the conditions, to maintain core warmth when you stop, and; wrist insulation (I prefer fleece hoodies with thumb loops)

cacheson 12 Aug 2020
In reply to JamesLamont:

My hands run reasonably cold. I prefer to keep them in mitts whenever possible and reasonably warm gloves when I need the extra dexterity. I like Gordini mittens- down with a waterproof membrane. They were the first ones that kept my hands warm all day in wet Scottish conditions (which was surprising given that they are down) when doing lots of of digging in the snow. With some practice it is surprising how many fiddly tasks you can do in them. When out on lead, I use a pair of outdoor research gloves that came in a sample sale or a pair of Simond's thick winter climbing gloves, which are also pretty cheap. I find my hands stay warmer in single layer gloves than ones with a fleece liner and outer. They are also more dextrous. Shake out lots, especially if your fingers start to get cold or you have been touching something metal for a long time. Wrist insulation is also really important. As a curve ball, I did a season of winter climbing in a pair of liquid nitrogen laboratory gloves that I managed to pick up cheap. I have been tempted to get a pair of Chamonix bin man gloves for a wee while and see how my hands get on in them.

In reply to JamesLamont:

I feel your pain! (often, and to the great amusement of some of my partners)

I wear mitts whenever it is feasible but the best warm glove I have found is the Outdoor Research Illuminator.  For the dexterity and lack of bulkiness, the warmth is truly surprising. They are waterproof, so "should" be ok in Scottish winters - I have only used them in dry cold conditions, down to about -15C. (Norway, Canadian Rockies)

I have also taped a handwarmer sachet to the back of my hand which has worked excellently.

r0b 13 Aug 2020
In reply to veteye:

> Essentially, when out in the mountains, do not just look to your gloves to keep your hands warm: Instead increase your core body temperature, by having more layers of clothing on. (That way you can add or take away layers of clothing, to change your temperature by a moderated amount).

This. I have poor circulation to my hands and once they get cold putting on the biggest pair of gloves won't make any difference, I need to get my core temperature up (to the point of almost overheating) to get blood flow back to my hands.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...