Glove sizes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ibexguiding 02 Jan 2021

Hi all wondering if anyone could help out.
Looking at getting the mountain equipment super alpine gloves they’re my first pair of winter gloves (I’m slowing trying to get into winter climbing/mountaineering) but no idea what size to get and the size guide on the website didn’t help. Anyone know what size to get or how to measure for glove fitting?

Basemetal 02 Jan 2021
In reply to ibexguiding:

You'll have to try them on regardless as sizes don't take finger and thumb length into account consistently -either between brands or even models. For example  I tried the 2018 Rab Guides in my size, but the fingers were just too stubby.  If I get long enough fingers the palms are loose. You'll find a model that fits by trial and error  - I ended up with Alpkit Rhombics.

In reply to ibexguiding:

Usually you will find that companies tend to use only hand circumference measurement which works ok for a lot of folk, but can be a bit hit or miss if hand/finger and thumb length is more or less than what each company decides is the “average”. 

The best way as usual is try out the gloves in question and buy size that suits you best. Sometimes gloves are made small or large even when based on measurement, plus you as personal preference may prefer tighter or looser fit. If your buying to layer then you will need to consider whether to size up for over layering when appropriate. Different models of gloves from the same manufacturer can be widely different in their fit unfortunately.

The starting point is measure your hand width (circumference in inches!) on your dominant hand just below knuckles with fingers bent and use that in the manufacturer’s sizing chart to work out what should be the best size, then try them on.

andyd1970 02 Jan 2021
In reply to ibexguiding:

In regards to the gloves I had the super alpines a few years ago and loved them but I never used them for winter climbing. Very hard to keep your hands dry in the UK and I personally think these are more suited to dry conditions and rock. Have a look at the new black diamond punishers season 2020.

In the super alpines i was XL and the previous Seasons punishers I am a large, for what it’s worth. 

wbo2 02 Jan 2021
In reply to ibexguiding: in contrast to Andy I have the Punishers but am thinking of buying super alpines. I'll climb pitches with the super alpines, belay in something warmer.

The punishers kind of fall in the middle,  no man's land. Plus getting them off is a  p.i.t.a. as they don't have fixed finger linings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...