Glove repair - Decayedworn 'dew drop removers'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil.loydon 09 Sep 2018

Hi All,

Whatever BD and others make the inside, back edge of the thumbs out of, on gloves like the Punishers, breaks down after a couple of years, which on otherwise okay pairs of gloves, is a bit of a pain.

Any suggestions on what to repair this with ?

Anyone any experience with any paint on compounds or adhesives they can recommend ?

Cheers

Neil 

markk 09 Sep 2018
In reply to neil.loydon:

Try Seamgrip.

Timmd 09 Sep 2018
In reply to neil.loydon:

Are they meant to be waterproof gloves? I ask because I have repaired gloves by sewing them together where holes appear, and then applying superglue over the sewing to make the repair robust. It makes that section of the glove rather stiff, but depending on where on the glove the repair it, it isn't always a bad thing.

Seamgrip seems like a good idea with it being pretty flexible. 

Post edited at 17:53
 AlanLittle 10 Sep 2018
In reply to markk:

> Seamgrip

And the very first response contains the right answer!

My snowboarding gloves are generally mostly made out of Seamgrip after their first season or two.

nniff 10 Sep 2018
In reply to neil.loydon:

As above, Seamgrip.  Various other McNett products such as Aquaseal, which is targeted at fishermen for repairing waders etc, is the same stuff and can be easier to find.

Sir Chasm 10 Sep 2018
In reply to neil.loydon:

No. If it's the same as mine it's some sort of absorbent snot wiping material that crumbles away as soon as you look at it. Seam seal won't be any use at all for absorbing snot. You could try glueing a piece of material in place, or just brush it all of and forget about it.

ben b 10 Sep 2018
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Just snot out each nostril in turn like a proper climber. Whatever next - a lace hanky attachment?

b

nufkin 10 Sep 2018
In reply to ben b:

>  Just snot out each nostril in turn like a proper climber

I don't think I've ever used the snot patches on any of my winter gloves. Partly because I think the orientation/placement is wrong (I think running the knuckles up the nostrils with a twist of the wrist is a more natural movement), and partly because they never seem like they'd really absorb any snot. Those BD ones, for example, are basically like a thin velvet, when what you really need is a deep pile like those Rab fleeces used to have

TobyA 10 Sep 2018
In reply to neil.loydon:

Yeah, that's the snot wiper/google wiper (top tip for free - decide on one or t'other and don't try and mix purposes!). It always seems to peel of. Keep calm and carry on really. It makes no difference to the gloves' performance. I do tend to seam grip all the seams (particularly the ones between thumb and fingers) though anyway on my winter gloves - seems to help keep the gloves going for longer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...