Glasses lanyard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Kemp 21 May 2019

The phone lanyard thread that's just started up reminded me that after losing my glasses in a boulder field the other day I could do with something similar for (my next) glasses. What do the glasses wearers amongst you recommend?

Martin W 21 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

For mountain biking, climbing and other active sports I use a venerable Croakies https://www.croakies.com "eyewear retainer".  It's still going strong after more years than I care to remember; those guys must use good quality neoprene.  I originally bought it because I liked the frog design on it (they don't seem to do that one any more, more's the pity).

It's not a lanyard as in the glasses can come off but not get lost, it actually holds the glasses in place on your head - but comfortably, it's not like a rubber band.  And you can adjust how snug it is very easily.  I just think it's a very simple but at the same time really cunning design - it's basically just a strip of neoprene tacked in to a tube at each end but it works really well.

Post edited at 21:23
 Gordonbp 21 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I've got some of these - seem to be fine!

https://www.julbo.com/en_gb/spare-parts

OP Bob Kemp 21 May 2019
In reply to Martin W:

That's a neat solution, thanks. 

OP Bob Kemp 21 May 2019
In reply to Gordonbp:

Thanks, that should work too, although the 'all sunglasses' ones are out of stock at the moment.

Post edited at 21:44
 tehmarks 21 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I don't wear glasses, but the Julbo retainer certainly does the job with my sunglasses.

EdS 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Contact lenses

doz 22 May 2019
In reply to EdS:

Glue

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Some thin (2mm?) cord, clove-hitched at both ends,

Chris

Marmolata 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I had a neoprene band similar to the one described and it secured my glasses very well but with one disadvantage. When I had glasses with separate node pads I more than ones had my hair entangled in them because you can't take your glasses off forward anymore like usually but have to pull them up. I guess It's more of an issue with linger hair,  although mine isn't much longer than to my ears. Also not an issue with the integrated nose pads on bigger frames.

Just for consideration, otherwise thumbs up for the neoprene band!

GridNorth 22 May 2019
In reply to Marmolata:

I've got some little rubber retainers that slip behind the ears.

Al

Ned 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Tie them on with an old shoe lace

The Reaper 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

If it is just basic reading glasses you are using then I find the Clic Magnetics absolutely brilliant where you need to be taking them on and off regularly. Fit close to the neck when not in use so don't interfere but can be brought into use easily and quickly by opening up the front magnetic catch. Great for a quick guidebook consultation or map check on the bike.

https://www.clic-glasses.com/en/products?gclid=CjwKCAjw5pPnBRBJEiwAULZKviUk...

Martin Bennett 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I'm not a fan of Mountain Warehouse products in general but their shops are great for little odds and ends like this . They do a glasses strap thingy that looks the same as the Croakies one above for about £1.00 or so.

JohnV 22 May 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Drill a 2mm hole in the ends of both arms, thread a piece of elastic through and tie an overhand knot so it doesn’t pull through the hole. 

OP Bob Kemp 22 May 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I was thinking about that - I've got some even thinner braided cord that might do.

OP Bob Kemp 22 May 2019
In reply to The Reaper:

Thanks - they're clever, but it's my driving/distance glasses that are the problem.

OP Bob Kemp 22 May 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

> I've got some little rubber retainers that slip behind the ears.

> Al

Sound interesting, but I can't quite visualise them - anyone got a link to something like this?

GridNorth 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

UKC won't let me post a link because it thinks I'm advertising.  Just Google "Ear Grips for Glasses"

Al

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I have had a bit on mine for years, cost nowt, perfectly serviceable - what's not to like?

Chris

OP Bob Kemp 22 May 2019
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Thanks for all the replies so far. I was thinking about the initial reason for me losing my glasses, and it was because I wear glasses for distance vision, and when I'm trying to see where I'm putting my feet I often push my glasses up on to my forehead. That rather eliminates the otherwise neat Croakier-Style solution. I'm not sure that I want to have a piece of string or its posh equivalent on my glasses all the time but it has obvious attractions. The right kind of ear grip looks like the way to go at the moment.

In the end, most of these options are cheap enough that I'll probably have a go at them all and see what I prefer. Thanks again!

OP Bob Kemp 22 May 2019
In reply to GridNorth:

Thanks - that's a bit weird given all the other links to products that people post. Oh well...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...