Getting oil/grease out of a waterproof jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 02 Jan 2020

I managed to pick up quite a bit of oil or grease on my ski jacket (Salomon Brilliant) and I am not sure of the best way to remove it without destroying any dwr treatment. Not sure what type of grease it is (it came off a ski lift and is black) which doesn't help much.

Someone suggested leaching it out with paraffin but I am saving that for when I have exhausted all the other options as I suspect that may just leave me with a smelly oily jacket. 

Any handy tips for oils on dwr treated fabrics? 

nniff 02 Jan 2020
In reply to Reach>Talent:

"Grandma's Secret Spot Remover" available on Amazon.  Will get the marks out (shifts just about anything), but no idea about the DWR

marsbar 02 Jan 2020

You will probably need to redo the DWR once you get the jacket clean. 

Remove as much as you can with kitchen towel or loo roll. 

Then use cheap white creamy make up remover to get the rest out.  Use an old towel or similar to blot up the make up remover and the grease.  Repeat a few times until the make up remover comes out clean.  Then rinse with water.  Wash the jacket with Nik wax or whatever jacket wash and then reprove it.  Tumble dry if possible.  

oldie 02 Jan 2020

My Mum used to remove beach tar from our skin with suncream. Worked fine. No idea if it would suit your application, but its often readily available even on the hill. Would have to hope the suncream was easily removable (see marsbar reply).

marsbar 02 Jan 2020
In reply to oldie:

Anything like that should work. Basically a clean oil and water emulsion will remove the dirty oil or grease and then can be washed out with detergent.  

I might avoid sunscreen on a jacket because it has extra stuff in that might not wash out easily. 

Post edited at 11:55
 henradical 02 Jan 2020

You’ll probably have to redo the DWR (If it’s a large area) with grangers or Nikwax.

I imagine alternating passes of WD40 and then detergent (washing up liquid) and warm water (forming an emulsion) would work, and be safest.

If that fails you could try a small amount of isopropyl alcohol, or uncoloured methylated spirit (Eg. Surgical spirit sold in pharmacy).

I have successfully removed bike chain oil and pen biro using one or the other of these methods from my gortex mammut jacket.

Post edited at 13:21
 Glyno 02 Jan 2020

I'm sure I once heard that milk removes biro marks. Worth a try?

OP Reach>Talent 03 Jan 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks, that gives me a few things to try.

elsewhere 03 Jan 2020

High alcohol sterilising hand gel 

Murderous_Crow 03 Jan 2020

Worth noting if you haven't tried anything else yet, that talcum powder is an excellent 'blotting' agent for removing most of the grease before you try solvents such as emulsions, alcohol etc. Dust it on liberally, rub it in, dust on a bit more and leave for a few hours. Doing both sides of a normal garment works well, however may not be necessary on a membrane-type material. Pop it in the wash and reapply when it's dry, after 2-3 goes you'll have plucked the low hanging fruit and subsequent solvent application should be more effective. 

OTOH you could email the manufacturer for advice?

Luke

Baron Weasel 03 Jan 2020

I'd use isopropyl-alcohol, otherwise known as rubbing alcohol. Its really good at dissolving grease and oil! 

HeMa 03 Jan 2020

Common occurrance, which is Why expensive jackets and lift served skiing don’t really mix (well that and trees).

Just normal washing in a washing machine is good, provided you got a dryer tore-activate the remaining dwr.

OP Reach>Talent 05 Jan 2020
In reply to all:

Tried everything, nothing touched it. I am giving it a regular clean and will just live with the black camo pattern up the arm! If I get bored next time I am at work I may have a play with a better selection of interesting solvents.

Toerag 06 Jan 2020

A friend's spaniel rolled in gloss paint once - his vet advised him to use sunflower oil to remove it, and it worked a treat without a horrendous smell afterwards.

You could always ask the lift operator what grease they use, chances are they use the same stuff for everything. You can then ask the manufacturer for the best solvents.  I suspect although the hydrocarbon part of the grease has come out you now have tiny carbon black particles embedded in the weave of the material.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...