Gear storage - attic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattia 04 Feb 2021

Been searching past forum threads but couldn't quite find the right answers. 

I've moved home and had to retire my neat gridwall for climbing gear. 

So my question is, can gear be stored under a well-ventilated roof? It definitely doesn't get wet but presumably has the same air temperature and humidity of the outside ambient air. Last night down to 5 degrees C and 70% humidity. 

Is there any recommendation to suggest that the temperature or humidity would be harmful during longterm storage of:

-trad gear

-ropes

-shoes

-down sleeping bags

-electrics

Any thoughts welcome. 

Basemetal 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

Mice might be the biggest hazard if you're rural. I'd recommend using plastic crates for that reason. My out of season gear has lived under an open-eaved attic quite happily for about twenty years

Soaring summer temperatures (if you're lucky) might not be great for electronics batteries, but winter conditions are ideal... 

tehmarks 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

Not entirely equivalent, but I store my climbing gear in a storage locker under a built-in sofa on a boat. Unventilated, temperature and damp somewhere between my heated cabin and the unheated and probably damp bilge, and obviously broadly equivalent to the outside world when I'm not home and actively heating the space. I haven't noticed any issues.

In your case I'd maybe be wary about storing things like down bags up there long-term (mouldy sleeping bags sound like no fun and I imagine vacuum-packing them would be a bad idea), but otherwise I doubt you'll have any problems. If you're worried, maybe stick them in a sealed bag or barrel with some sort of desiccant? Damp will be your problem, not temperature.

nniff 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

Heat variation is the biggest problem - heat in the summer primarily - utterly trashed the soft foam tops to some inner boots a few years back

OP Mattia 04 Feb 2021

Thanks for the replies so far. 

Heat damage didn't occur to me but might be an issue, although the roof is 2 years old and seems to be insulated well enough to withstand direct summer sun. I'll make sure to monitor the temperature though.

I don't think mice are a problem. They'd have to be very sporty to get up there. 8c+ in International mouse sport grade or thereabouts. 

LastBoyScout 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

I've kept my trad gear and ropes in the loft for a few years, but have brought in down and put it under the bed in the middle of summer when it's roasting up there.

Boots have always lived in the garage.

Sleeping bags - down and synth - have lived in the top of the spare wardrobe but, reluctantly, I've had to put them in plastic bags and put them in the loft, at least for a while until we get a bit more organised since moving house. I'm nervous about condensation inside the bags, so will be keeping a close eye on them.

Thermarests are hanging up in the end of the wardrobe.

OP Mattia 04 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Hey there, seems reasonable to remove them from the oven that the loft might turn into in summer. 

I personally wouldn't compress sleeping bags. It seems like both synthetic and down doesn't like being stored compressed.  

I've had another look at my attic and it seems like it's not actually insulated. What's insulated is the dormer itself. Hence the attic space next to the dormer seems to be cold but well ventilated at current temperatures. 

LastBoyScout 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

> I personally wouldn't compress sleeping bags. It seems like both synthetic and down doesn't like being stored compressed.  

They're not compressed, for exactly that reason.

They're in the normal storage bags, which are inside big vacuum storage bags, as they can be completely sealed to keep the dust out, but I don't then apply the vac.

Think there's 2 down bags and about 9 synth bags up there!

marsbar 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

Mice can get anywhere.  Not just rural either.  

OP Mattia 04 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Sounds like you have a sleeping bag for every day of the week there. Plus spares for special occasions. 

climberchristy 04 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

> I don't think mice are a problem. They'd have to be very sporty to get up there. 8c+ in International mouse sport grade or thereabouts. 

Mice can climb at least 9c! Seriously though, do not assume mice cant access an attic. If I stored gear in an attic I would use plastic boxes with lids for any 'soft' gear on which my life depends such as ropes, harness, cams, slings etc

OP Mattia 05 Feb 2021
In reply to climberchristy:

Plastic boxes seem like a wise idea. I'm currently keeping my great in boxes but i need to mouse-proof the lids to keep the buggers out.

LastBoyScout 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Mattia:

> Sounds like you have a sleeping bag for every day of the week there. Plus spares for special occasions. 

Ha, yes - all different uses.
Winter down bag, lightweight down bag for cycle touring, good synth bag for summer camping, cheap synth bag for camping with the Scouts (in case it gets trashed), wife's sleeping bag, kids sleeping bags and a couple of duplicates that I saw in clear-outs for such ridiculous prices, I couldn't resist buying them as spares.
And the last one is my mate's who lives in Germany - left it with me, so he doesn't have to bring it over when he comes camping here.

Post edited at 00:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...