Gear Competitions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PilkingtonD 08 Jul 2021

Came across an article from 2013 listing where the best places are to win free climbing and outdoor gear (who doesn't love free stuff after all?), and wanted to make an updated thread of the ones that I knew about, and see if there is any that I've missed!

1) UKC

The obvious, UKC run a few competitions a month for gear in the 'Competitions' section of the website, they're usually open for a few weeks and seem quite popular, with at least a thousand entries on most of them!

2) Ellis Brigham

Sometimes offer gear and trips for climbing and adventure sports. Seems a bit sporadic and there is only a new compeition every few months or so.

3) Win Something

Generic competitions site, rarely offers adventure gear under the 'hobbies' section of their website, but seems to be updated fairly often.

4) Snow + Rock

Runs a couple of competitions a year, mostly photography related, but their website hasnt updated recently.

5) Walk Magazine

Hosted on the Ramblers Website, they mostly offer walking related gear in what seems like semi-regular competitions every few months.

6) Summit Magazine

The BMC magazine published quarterley always has a section for competitions with both walking and climbing gear offered. Requires a BMC membership though.

7) climbers.crag - Instagram

Climbing page on instagram offering competitions for gear every month or so, usually involves sharing the post and commenting on it to boost the page's publicity.

Is there any I've missed?

mondite 08 Jul 2021
In reply to PilkingtonD:

Sign up to osprey newsletters and they generally have a few on the go with other companies.

PaulJepson 08 Jul 2021
In reply to PilkingtonD:

The bramble bush underneath Morpheus (HVD) is the best place to win free gear. 

In reply to PilkingtonD:

Generally ones which are harder to enter are easier to win. When on the dole was in circulation, once per year, they would have a comp issue with a load of postcards to fill in and post off. These were quite lucrative because not many could be bothered to buy the mag, fill them in, buy the stamp and post. I harvested quite a bit of kit from them.

Compare this with ukc, where it is a click to enter, I have never had any joy there but the odds are trending towards lottery win given the ease of entry.

Both methods can generate a huge amount of junk mail either real or electronic, this is why the comps exist. 

Post edited at 17:42
 Pedro50 09 Jul 2021
In reply to PilkingtonD:

Outside (via UKC ad) I won a signed copy of The Bond.

Won UKC comps twice in 10 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...