Garmin GPSMAP 65s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pad01 05 May 2021

Treated myself to one of these recently with 1:25 mapping for all of UK.

Worked fine in lakes but when I went to check a route i'd plotted for Snowdonia I can't view mapping in 1:25 format. When you zoom in after 5km it switches to OS mapping but not for Wales or one part of Scotland (think its south). The mapping is made up of 5 tiles - North Scotland/East England/North England & IOM/South Scotland/West England & Wales.

Everything is enabled as it should be and as per Garmins instructions and it was delivered setup.

Have switched the card to another unit I have, extrex20x, and it all displays correctly.

Just doesnt work as it should in teh GPSMAP 65s.

Anybody offer any advice or had the same issue.

Thanks

crayefish 06 May 2021
In reply to pad01:

If I recall on my 66i, there is a way to set which map shows as default when there are multiple options at a certain zoom level or location (e.g. if one has custom maps and garmin maps loaded together).  Cant recall exactly where the option is, but perhaps the 1:25 k map is getting overridden?  Not sure why it would only do it certain places though.

If its not that, it could also be that the Garmin 'topoactive' maps just don't have any detail there... they're pretty useless.  I went and bought a TalkyToaster map for my last expedition and it was 100000 times better than the useless Garmin one.  Only about 15 euros per country too.

OP pad01 06 May 2021
In reply to crayefish:

That’s one suggestion I found but checked that and it’s all setup correctly. 
You need to have one enabled for the other to work. Seems to be an issue with the unit as it works fine on other models. 
not sure of the point of the garmin base map, it’s literally useless for the intended purpose of a hand held GPS. 

crayefish 06 May 2021
In reply to pad01:

Agree.  It is pretty pointless... probably just serves as a canvas for saving locations.

Can you see the 1:25k map when you plug the unit into the computer and view on Basecamp?  If the map is correctly loaded, it should show up and be viewable there.  If not, maybe worth reinstalling the maps.  Other than that... out of ideas.

Howard J 06 May 2021
In reply to pad01:

Have you raised it with the retailer?  It should be fit for purpose.  If they haven't set it up correctly then they must put it right.   If it's you I would still expect them to explain what you're doing wrong.

OP pad01 06 May 2021
In reply to crayefish:

Yeah works in base camp and on a different model of garmin. Just this unit has the issue. 

OP pad01 06 May 2021
In reply to Howard J:

Yeah. They checked one of the other units and it was doing the same thing so have raised it with Garmin. As have I. If their support is anything like their instructions it’ll be a painful process. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...