Garmin Fenix GPS watch: service/repairer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 30 Jan 2023

Does anyone know of / can anyone recommend someone who would repair/service a (very old) Garmin Fenix GPS watch

I have one (it's the first generation, around 2012/2013, and doesn't have a Fenix version number unlike the later versions/models) and I love it to bits (sadly, never a truer word).  I seem to have brought it back to life with a factory reset, but I think it could probably do with a check/replace of the battery.  I don't think Garmin will touch it (far too old).  I've tried the latest Garmin Instinct 2 and I really don't like it, it's far too over-specified for what I want (just a bit of simple navigation) and needs a smart phone 'app' or two over blueteeth to do anything much.

Here's the watch https://www.engadget.com/2012-07-10-garmin-fenix-gps-watch.html
and here's a version history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmin_Fenix

TIA

Ridge 30 Jan 2023
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

If it's anything like the other Garmins I've had there's no way to open them up without cutting them open, as they're a sealed unit. 

In reply to Ridge:

> If it's anything like the other Garmins I've had there's no way to open them up without cutting them open, as they're a sealed unit. 

Thanks for that.  Interesting.  On the reverse of the casing, there are 4 screws, one in each 'corner', clearly an unusual type of screw head, but probably there to dissuade chancers, or make it harder for a DIYer to get in , but maybe there is some hope of getting the case open, if there is a technicaian who might be interested/able

Photo: https://imgur.com/E3SLHW5

Mind you, I finally found out how to do a factory reset last night, and the watch seems to be behaving normally.  Maybe I've sorted it or maybe I'm living on borrowed time!

Post edited at 14:47
 tony 30 Jan 2023

It is possible to replace the batteries in Garmin watches, but it's not easy, and you do need the right tools. Obviously for your you do need a special screwdriver, but these can be bought fairly easily. 

More difficult is getting the right battery. I managed to get one for an old Garmin 405 some years ago via a YouTube link and there was then a tricky job unsoldering the contacts on the old battery and resoldering the new battery in place without causing any damage.

Mini Mansell 30 Jan 2023
In reply to tony:

i just replaced the battery on my Fenix 6x last night.  was an easy job, took about 20 mind, but was a tad nerve wracking

Tim Bevan 30 Jan 2023

I've actually found that various Fenix watches (3 and 5) were very easy to take apart and replace the battery in. Requires a small set of bits but nothing unusual. Finding a battery for one that old might be harder but not impossible - I'm sure one could work something out. If your factory reset doesn't work PM me...

Ridge 30 Jan 2023

That's interesting. I have a 220, a 245 and 945 and they are all completely sealed. You're in luck, seems like you just need a torx bit of the right size and a compatable battery, if the reset doesn't sort it.

Street 31 Jan 2023
In reply to Ridge:

That looks similar to my Fenix 3. If you can find a battery, replacing it should be an easy job. It only took me a few minutes to pop it open and reseal it.

Thanks for the replies: I am reassured and might have a go at it myself with the help of a few youtube videos probably.  I might wait till it totally dies and a factory reset won't sort it (which it is at present) as I don't want to kill the device myself until it's died of its own volition!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...