Footwear for Mount kenya Lenana peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Salm0n 14 Nov 2022

Hi,

I'm aware there is a previous thread about this but it's a little old now.

I'm doing the trek to Lenana peak over Christmas and I'm not sure what footwear to take. For those that have done it what would you advise?

I don't own any hiking boots and don't have much need for them other than this trip, I'll probably need some B2 boots soon though. Wondering if getting some B2 boots is best use of money or whether some decent approach shoes are suitable.

Timy2 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Salm0n:

just wear approach shoes, no need for B2.  I was up there in 1984 wore the old karrimor KSBs they were fine.

iani 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Salm0n:

Ordinary hiking boots that you might wear in the Lake District in the Spring / Autumn would be fine. Approach shoes might be a bit cold - it freezes at night, and you would probably get wet feet in boggy bits. Anything very heavy will be overkill and contribute to path wear etc.

Darron 15 Nov 2022
In reply to iani:

I seem to remember crossing a glacier?

McHeath 15 Nov 2022
In reply to Darron:

The Mountain Club of Kenya has this to say:

The Lewis glacier has receded significantly, and has left behind steep ice, covered with small stones on the western flank of Point Lenana. The usual 'tourist route' up Point Lenana traverses across this ice slope, which although is in the lee of the prevailing wind, does require a high degree of competence on slippery and loose steep ground. The route is no longer as described in current Guide Books. This route relies on the stones being frozen onto the ice for traction, so anyone attempting this route during the warmth of the day should take great care. The alternative route from Austrian Hut would be to scramble up the summit ridge, and although this would be fully exposed to any wind, it would probably be safer. Point Lenana has become a much more serious undertaking over recent years and can be a dangerous place for the inexperienced and ill-equipped mountaineer.

iani 15 Nov 2022
In reply to iani:

From memory we followed the ridge up behind the Austrian hut on rock to get to the top of Lenana, which was straightforward and didn't go onto snow.

The following day we crossed the glacier in walking boots and climbed Nelion and Batian wearing rock shoes - this was in the 1980s - we needed to put the walking boots on with crampons to get across the gate of the mists, but that could be ice free now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...