Flexible Yet Sturdy boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Still 12 Sep 2020

On the advice of a podiatrist I need to get some more flexible boots.   I have spent the last five years using stiff boots for all my summer work, this has led to me damaging by big toe.  

I am looking for suggestions for a three season boot that has a fairly flexible sole yet is sturdy enough for Munro walking and expeditions, ideally it would be pretty waterproof.   Scarpa boots have always fit me well.  

I will finish by saying that I’m not sure the boot I’m looking for actually exists, but I’m pretty out of touch with the boot market.  

Thank You for reading

wercat 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

at least have a look at the AKU range - I've used them for 10 years now except in winter.  Good for walking, scrambling (including soloing the Inn Pin and Pinnacle Ridge on SnG).

I use them with custom moulded insoles on the advice of a mountaineering and MRT experienced GP who diagnosed plantar fasciitis some years ago.

Post edited at 12:39
OP Dan Still 12 Sep 2020
In reply to wercat: Thank you, I shall take a look at them.

In reply to Dan Still:

I'm now on my second pair of Altberg boots. Really good, very comfortable, and although they sound foreign, they're British. Very well made.

Guy Hurst 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

I'm geting on really well with a pair of Lowa Renegade Mid boots I bought before the lockdown. They are pretty flexible, but have a good tread patter, ample padding and are not as insubstantial as a lot of trainers/mid boots.

Andy Manthorpe 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

Have a look at the Hi-Tec Ravine as well. These are the most comfortable walking boots I've ever owned. The leather and workmanship appear to be good quality.

Andy

In reply to Dan Still:

Definitely Altbergs!

wbo2 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still: have a look on the Scarpa website.. see what you like the look of.. it sounds like you want a bog standard 3 season boot. 

Although for that I wear trail running shoes..

Ridge 12 Sep 2020
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Definitely Altbergs!

I'll be contrary and say definitely not Altbergs. They fit the 'sturdy' requirement, but 'flexible'? I have a pair of 'Malham' boots which felt fine in the shop and walking round the house, but my heart sinks when I decide to give them one more try (I've done about 200miles in them so far).

Absolutely 'dead' feel to them, transmit the dull 'thud' of every single step on hard paths and feel like a pair of lead diving boots. Horrible things, I only wear them for short walks in muddy conditions and persevere with them because I'm a stingy Yorkshireman who wants his £150 worth of use out of them.

I'd rather wear boots DMS with the cheesegrater-like insoles than Altbergs.

Post edited at 16:22
 OwenM 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

It really depends on what fits your feet. I wear Zanbalian trek-lites they just fit me. Light and hard wearing only three seasons though not stiff enough for crampons.

Doug 12 Sep 2020
In reply to wbo2:

I has a pair of Scarpa SL for many years which, if they still make them & haven't changed the design too much would be a good option. Rarely wear them now as I've moved to southern French Alps & its mostly too hot for leather boots & the paths are usually dry rather than muddy & wet but they were good when I lived in the Highlands.

In reply to Ridge:

I can't argue with your experience of them. All I can say is that I have had very different experience of them.

To the OP, for balance I find them far more comfortable than all my other boots (Scarpas, Boreals), I find them very well cushioned (I have no idea what you mean by dull thud on hard paths), and I find the sole grips really well on wet mountain ground.

wercat 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

someone told me AKU were being bought for the army now - not surprised, I've had amazing service from mine.  And yes, I started in the mountains with DMS so I know what you mean - all the polish/dubbin in the world couldn't keep your feet dry for more than half an hour

Route Adjuster 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

Another vote for Altbergs, just got my first pair, wish I'd tried them years ago! 

grump gnome 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/206872

Bestard Breithorn Pro GTX. Great boots and good price from Sportpursuit,

Dave the Rave 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Still:

I used to have Scarpa Rangers in the late 90’s and they still do them. The new model looks a nice trad boot.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...