Fixing a Microcender

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dominikk 26 Mar 2020

Hey folks,

I'm trying to replace the cable on my Petzl Microcender but one of the screws gives me a bit of trouble.
The screw on the camming piece can easily be opened using a 2mm hex key but the on the other end the cable is fixed by something I can't find a fitting key for.
It's hidden deep inside the device, so I can't really see it but a 2mm hex key appears to be too big and a 1.5mm too small. I know Petzl once sold repair kits for that purpose but these are no longer on the market and I cannot find any specific information on the keys which were provided.

Does any of you happen to know which key is needed? Maybe someone still owns the repair kit and can take a look at the keys?

They might have used something with a 1/16 inch socket (which strikes me as slightly odd for a french company)?

Since I bought it 2nd hand, the other option is obviously that the previous owner ruined the socket in which case there's probably no way of getting it out.

Thanks!

Post edited at 17:38
 danm 26 Mar 2020
In reply to dominikk:

It might possibly be a 1/16th as the Microcender was part of the Rock Exotica range, who were bought out by Petzl and had many existing products rebranded. That range were all made in the US, so may well have been a non-metric part.

jkarran 26 Mar 2020
In reply to dominikk:

Have you checked it's not just a rollpin?

jk

DANDREWS 26 Mar 2020
In reply to dominikk:

One of the screws is imperial and the other is metric.I replaced the cable, which was broken with 2 strands of motorcycle throttle cable.

Will Wykes 27 Mar 2020
In reply to dominikk:

I have a kit - 2 different sized allen keys, a couple of spare cables to and a grub screw.
Happy to lend it to you though not sure if going to the PO counts as essential travel...

Kind regards,

Will

Sean_J 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Will Wykes:

POs across the UK are open and accepting post as normal. It would seem perverse to keep them open if we were not allowed to actually post anything (I regularly post things as part of my job, but have cut down my post runs to one a week now).

OP dominikk 27 Mar 2020
In reply to Will Wykes:

Thank you so much for your kind offer! Since I don't live in the UK it's probably too much effort though. I already have the throttle cable I'm going to use and will lend an imperial allen key from somebody. It's not super urgent and my father probably has a set somewhere in his toolshed. I should pay him a visit after this corona mess anyway.

Thanks everybody four your replies, I didn't know Petzl bought out Rock Exotica. That probably explains the use of imperials. This forum always delivers...

Still, I believe there is a special place in hell for manufacturers who mix metric and imperial sockets in the same device!

BrendanO 27 Mar 2020
In reply to dominikk:

As an ex-osner of a 1976 Triumph Bonbeville, and a '59 Triton, I second yhe comment about mixing metric and Imperial (and AF/Whtiworth/UNC/BSC...)

Baz P 27 Mar 2020
In reply to BrendanO:

What,  no pipe threads in there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...