Five Ten alternative

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike_uk82 08 Mar 2021

I've been out of the loop for some years but it seems Adidas have shafted the Five Ten line of approach/hiking shoes. Shame as I loved their Insights. Tried the 5:10 Access but they felt a bit flimsy and haven't lasted long.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives to Five Ten Insights/Canyons, please?

Thanks

Post edited at 10:20
 MischaHY 08 Mar 2021
In reply to mike_uk82:

Check out the TX4 from La Sportiva - wider than their usual offerings and one of the best approach shoes on the current market. 

You could also consider the Mescalito from Scarpa which is another excellent choice. 

I would say the TX4 climbs better and the Mescalito hikes/runs better. Both are very robust. 

OP mike_uk82 08 Mar 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

Thank you. Ill check them out. 

ianstevens 08 Mar 2021
In reply to mike_uk82:

Terrex Swift Solo's are pretty nice

galpinos 09 Mar 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

I'm not sure if the winky means this is a joke but the tread pattern looks awful for the typical UK steep grass approach vibe.

galpinos 09 Mar 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

I would add the TX Guide as a best of both worlds, if you can get on with the slightly odd last.

tjdodd 09 Mar 2021
In reply to galpinos:

Or that Terrex is also Adidas so if they have ruined 5.10 then presumably Terrex will be no better.

galpinos 09 Mar 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

Ah, yes, that does make sense.....

joem 09 Mar 2021
In reply to galpinos:

If you want good shoes for steep grass then trail running shoes are your answer, tend not to climb great though. 

if you want a more traditional approach shor everyone I know who’s had them raves about the la sportiva boulder X’s they’ll be my next approach shoe purchase.

ianstevens 09 Mar 2021
In reply to galpinos:

That was indeed the joke. However I've used them, as well as raft of other approach shoes, and actually found them very nice to use. No more slippery than any others, and climb very well for what is essentially a pair of trainers. 

If you want something that doesn't slide about on wet grass, I'd suggest looking at some fell running shoes - they don't climb as nicely, but thats the trade off with the big chunky tread required.

galpinos 09 Mar 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

The home went clean over my head.

I’ve found the TX Guide to be the best compromise. I was a Tennie advocate in my youth because that’s what all the cool kids wore, then moved to fell shoes because that’s what all the old duffers swore by but both were rubbish in one scenario of the other (from thinking the end was nigh above Gogarth in tennies and from nearly coming a cropper in a scrambling descent in Talons). The TX guides seem to climb pretty well (lockdown has hampered opportunity to test them properly) and do better than expected on step damp grass and mud.

The for us odd though, my skiing feet are fine but the last would aggravate quite a few foot shapes I imagine.

CurlyStevo 09 Mar 2021
In reply to joem:

I'd much prefer a synthetic upper, suede is an odd choice for a UK approach shoe as water is often encountered

ianstevens 09 Mar 2021
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeah, Boulder Xs are nice but take around 56 days to dry fully

MischaHY 09 Mar 2021
In reply to galpinos:

They're narrower though hence not so ideal for OP. 

OP mike_uk82 20 Mar 2021
In reply to mike_uk82:

Just to cap off the thread. 
I went with the TX4 - La Sportiva. (would have liked the Guides but I'd have to wait until June for the next delivery (I don't live in UK)). 

Wore them out for a 10k bimble today and they felt great. They do seem wider, but for me this adds to the comfort. Not tried them on rock but they feel like they will work well. 

Cheers for the suggestions all. 

Happy climbing. 

MischaHY 20 Mar 2021
In reply to mike_uk82:

Nice one Mike, glad they worked out well for you! 

wbo2 20 Mar 2021
In reply to tjdodd:you presume wrong.

Two comments on 5.10 'back in the day's.  The first is that the build quality was f####ing awful.  It was an inherently cheap board last seemingly assembled by people with no control.  My five-tennies fell to pieces faster than most anything else .

Second is that the sole was rubbish for grassy UK conditions...

Don't worship a past that never existed 

tjdodd 20 Mar 2021
In reply to wbo2:

I never presume nor worship anything in life. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...