Fibre Pile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hardy 15 Oct 2020

Are there any manufacturers making this stuff any more? (for reference I'm thinking of the old point north / helly hanson type stuff)

OP Andy Hardy 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

Cheers 

Are there any brands making fibre pile jackets?

65 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I think Helly Hansen still do pile clothing.

mcawle 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Mountain Equipment 'Moreno' jacket, Patagonia 'Retro Pile' jacket. Presumably others. I don't own any but FYI.

Dave the Rave 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I still use a Helly Double Pile Jacket in bottle green from 1988. It’s long list it’s smooth surface but is still warm. Think I paid £35 from Joe Royle, Hanley. A lovely shop that was.

Is their a Renaissance for pile? Hope you find one

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Yes you need a261 field jacket  by HH

isiting Adress: Unit G3(A) Birkbeck House, Colliers Way, Phoenix Park, NG8 6AT NOTTINGHAM

Postal Address:

Phone : E-com Sales and Order Inquiries: 0800 142 2210

Phone 2 : Warranties: +44 115 979 5997

Helly Hansen UK Ltd is a limited company (registered number 791202) and our registered office is at Unit G3(A), Birkbeck House, Colliers Way, Phoenix Park, Nottingham, NG8 6A

In reply to Dave the Rave:

A spot of Google-fu unearthed this https://www.farfield.co.uk/product/men/jackets-men/fibrepile-jacket/

I might have a look next time I'm in sedbergh!

In reply to Name Changed 34:

Do they have a separate website to helly hanson? Can't find a product called "261 field jacket" there...

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Sorry it may be this,,

Helly Hansen Lausanne Jacket 72261

Not field  and  a 72 before the 261 

https://northseaworkwear.com/a070h08007-m-helly-hansen-elastic-cuffs-72261-...

Have them on sale  Product Ref: A070H08007-M  But out of stock 

its also available with hood but only in bright Orange  I have one but if hoods up it lifts if weight from shoulder to head and neck so no good worst if helmeted. However the hood makes a good neck warmer and it’s not a issue when sitting 

look in HH workwear for both 

You will find them 

I use string vest , double pile and P 1 p

pretext   You can keep flash fashionable crap for poseing 

Martin Bennett 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

They still do pile clothing though not exactly like the original 1970s "Polar" jackets of which I still have two, bought for £4/19/6d each fifty years ago. Relegated to caving 25 years ago and I still can't wear 'em out, though one of the zips has gone -  do you think I should complain?

They sell it to military and workwear outlets I think. Just a thought from your post - if you've been searching for Helly HansOn this might have limited your opportunities for they are Helly HansEn. 

Pbob 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Brenig.co.uk

Well recommended for quality, price and service

m dunn 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Lidl - every so often. 

nathan79 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

There are a few as has been mentioned.

I've got a ME Moreno (lovely, fluffy and warm), a Rab Original Pile Fleece (less old-school than the previous Double Pile model as it has a windproof lining) and an EDZ yeti fleece (not quite Pile fleece but a halfway house between like and microfleece).

spenser 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Montane, Buffalo and Snugpak all make what you seem to be after for varying levels of cost:

https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/clothing-c25/insulation-c6/montane-extreme-...

Forester3 16 Oct 2020
In reply to spenser: I’ve owned a Buffalo belay jacket for the past 15 years or so. Still going strong after lots of use - particularly during winter when it’s worn most days - tough as old boots!

nikkormat 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Patagonia also do the Retro Pile Fleece, which goes nicely under a Buffalo Windshirt, and a version with a windproof liner.

In reply to m dunn:

A pal bought one of these and it was almost identical to the rab one I’ve got. But 2.5x cheaper. 

ben b 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

It’s fascinating how this technology is returning - kind of - with the new generation polartec alpha etc. Look like particularly threadbare pile jackets when the filling is visible. 

I see OMM have started using it as a sleeping bag liner, to make mitts, and various pile-type thin fleeces. Will be interesting to see how well they work. 

b

Darron 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> I still use a Helly Double Pile Jacket in bottle green from 1988. It’s long list it’s smooth surface but is still warm. Think I paid £35 from Joe Royle, Hanley. A lovely shop that was.

Jo Royle! Brian Royle as Maitre d’

As you say, before climbing shops became Aladdin’s caves, a great climbers shop.

Darron 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Point North?

North Cape surely?

Post edited at 01:17
 AndyC 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Can't believe it's nearly 10 years since this thread...

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/fleece_vs_pile-439189

OP Andy Hardy 17 Oct 2020
In reply to AndyC:

A lot of similar ground covered on that thread!

Noddyrog 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

The thought of an old school fibre pile jacket had been on my mind for a while.

I used to have a Rab Double Pile Jacket many years ago. 

I decided to take a punt on the Farfield FIBRE PILE JACKET in heavier Sherpa fleece (Navy) - which arrived today. Very impressed with the finish and with the fit: I went for medium, which fits me much better than the old Rab Double Pile Jacket - in Large.

The outer of the jacket is smooth - tough as old boots type - fabric and the lining is very warm fibre pile. The photo's on the website don't do it justice - it looks quite cool/retro. 

The best news was that it was made in Sedburgh ..... and was only £62.50. 

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Got an EDZ yeti fleece, £35 and now my favourite fleece 

OP Andy Hardy 22 Oct 2020
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

Just googled these, they look ideal, but are now out of stock in large. 🙁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...