Experience of Highlander Halo smocks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 07 Feb 2020

Can anyone offer feedback on the Highlander Halo smocks that are styled like a Buffalo Mountain shirt?

I think they may be light fleece lined rather than pile lined, but wonder if they still "work" like a Buffalo in all weather. At 1/6 the price (£25) I might give one a punt even if it turns out to be a two season purchase and not as warm as the real thing. Could even be useful if they take less space packed.

Rob Ray 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

I've got one. It's pretty good. Easy to adjust to cut out the wind, or to ventilate, as needed. Hood is insulated, and surprisingly good, for military kit. Hood folds away when not needed, so it's not flapping about the place. 

Not warm enough to use on its own on the high fells in winter conditions, but over a warm baselayer, I've not needed anything warmer in the Peak District so far this winter. Maybe a 3 season garment then?

Only issue might be the length of the arms. They're just about long enough for me, but they are short compared with any other garment I own. 

Never had a Buffalo Special 6/ Mountain Shirt, so can't really compare, but I've got a Buffalo windshirt for fell running. The pertex used on the Halo is thinner, lighter and probably less windproof than the stuff used on my Buffalo. 

Hope that helps. 

OP Basemetal 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Rob Ray:

Big help, thanks. I often wear a Buffalo Mountain shirt " as nature intended" even winter climbing. It felt like a risk first time I wore it alone, but then it just felt magically capable. Sometimes I wear a Brynge synthetic string vest under it and that helps in conditions the buffalo might get saturated.

Am I right the Halo has a fleece rather than pile lining? And would you say they're reasonably windproof?

Thanks also for the warning on sleeve length. I'll order one and see how I get on 

Rob Ray 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

Yeah, pretty windproof I'd say. 

You're right, fleece lined, rather than pile.

I've worn it next to the skin now and again, the lining's certainly soft and warm enough to do that. Not had much build up of sweat when doing that, hard to say whether that's the wicking or the ventilation zips. Bit of both I suppose.  

OP Basemetal 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Rob Ray:

Thanks again, Rob

m dunn 09 Feb 2020
In reply to Basemetal:

Nice bit of gear for £25.  Where's your supplier?  I can't find anywhere online at similar value!

Thanks in advance. 😁

OP Basemetal 09 Feb 2020
In reply to m dunn:

Check eBay, there are a few, new, for 25+3 BIN.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...