Exped downmat repair?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrew ogilvie 16 Sep 2019

I've got an old Exped downmat with a burst baffle so that one side has a double radius bulge when inflated.

Anyone know if this can be fixed economically? If not can the down fill be reclaimed or repurposed?

Much obliged for advice. Thanks 

Pina 16 Sep 2019
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

Short answer is it can't. You'd have to effectively cut it open to try I'm pretty sure. It's an annoying known fault of Expeds.

Last time it happened to mine it was out of warranty (the UL models only have a 2 year warranty) but the retailer was nice enough and gave me a new one at cost.

MattL80 16 Sep 2019

Similar here, happened while still under warranty so sent it back and got a replacement (better model as the one I had was no longer manufactured). Sounded like they can't be repaired.

Bit annoying when it happened, two days into a week long camping trip, having a ridge down the middle of the mat!

In reply to MattL80:

Thanks guys. I thought it probably wouldn't be viable. No chance of warranty on mine. 

ScraggyGoat 17 Sep 2019

Exped faulty mats are a widely known issue (note the recent UKC gear review of mats there wasn't any consideration of robustness / durability), forcing Exped to have to change the baffle design.  The older design had a much thinner weld, which has now been beefed up.

It would be interesting to know if your mat is the old or new style?

My Exped UL failed this way twice, I sent them back to direct to Exped UK's agent each time, once out of warranty, and received a new replacement mats.  Both times they failed when I had inflated them firmly and just rolled over heavily on them (and I'm not  a lardy!).  I had no qualms about sending back out of warranty, they cost an-arm-and-a-leg and clearly weren't/aren't fit for purpose.  Try it ,after all you only have the postage to lose, and do let us know how you get on.

On the last occasion I lost confidence, flogged the mat new and unused, and brought a more robust competitor offering.

Having said that my partners down UL has lasted many years (albeit it with an intermittent leaking valve), but she is a 8 stone whippet.

I'm sure Mountaineering Designs in the Lakes would re propose the down.

Post edited at 10:20

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...