Event lined walking boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 25 Jan 2023

Hi all,

My walking boots need replacing and I'm attracted to the lightness of the Brasher boots. But to my dismay I found the use E-vent linings. I've never liked Goretex lined boots; sweaty, smelly and not even waterproof after a while, are E-vent lined boots the same?

Any thoughts or experiences? 

Or any suggestions for unlined  lightweight leather walking boots?

Cheers, Lex

Harry Jarvis 25 Jan 2023
In reply to lex:

I'm surprised Brasher are persisting with eVent. It seems to have vanished from all other brands. 

Like you, I'm not a fan of lined boots.

You might like to try Oboz. They're an American brand with an increasing presence in the UK, and they're particularly keen on keeping their shoes and boots light.

https://obozfootwear.com/en-gb/product/men-s-sypes-mid-leather-waterproof

gethin_allen 25 Jan 2023
In reply to lex:

If you want light waterproof boots then really you are going to be getting something with a membrane. All the membranes will eventually fail, even more so on a light flexible boot. If it's a good leather outer you can mitigate somewhat gor the failure by waxing them heavily but this isn't a very light option and on light boots you're more likely to have mesh panels. 

I'd say goretex is more robust but slightly less breathable than E vent. But most apparent failures of E vent I've had have been due to membrane contamination with skin oils, something that wouldn't be such a problem if you always wear socks.

People say about the breathability of leather but I'm not convinced any material is going to be very breathable once you cover it in wax as you are supposed to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...