Emergency overtrousers - alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcawle 07 Jun 2022

Inspired by the current alpine waterproofs thread… https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/summer_alpine_routes_-_carry_a_water...

For those who *do* carry waterproof trousers ‘just in case,’ what do you use?

To my mind the ideal design would be something that is relatively light and rolls up small, with full side zips for ease of putting on over soft shells in extremis when already wearing boots and crampons, and also don’t require balancing on one foot to get them on. But I’m mostly seeing three quarter length zips as I vaguely cast around.

I have a pair of ME Tupilak pants which are full zip but have fixed braces and of course are generally massive and heavy - I have worn them in the alps once but that was from the outset when I was unsure of conditions and otherwise have worn lighter soft shells.

Any pointers on lighter weight full zip waterproof trousers?

Post edited at 21:55
 leon 1 07 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle: cheapish, full length zips, pack up fairly small and light

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/mens-waterproofs/products/...

OP mcawle 07 Jun 2022
In reply to leon 1:

Nice, thanks! I’d missed those, I do like ME; I thought I’d checked all their line a while back and not found anything with a full zip. Must have been mistaken. Cheers!

tjin 08 Jun 2022

I used to have a north face one, but that was bought over a decade ago. But overtrousers are more baggy and when wearing crampons, suddenly easy to catch on it. When already wearing a harness, it's a bit akward with atleast the belay loop sticking out and hoping your jackets covers enough that it doesn't just guide the water in your pants. Wet boxers were a sign that it didn't cover enough for me. 

I now go with the breathable hardshell trousers with big vent zips as just my regular alpine trousers. Also saves the weight of bringing another pair. 

ExiledScot 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

I think it's worthy thinking with two heads, the view towards clothing, weight, bag size will vary vastly between those contouring hut to hut and those needing to climb fast up routes to 4000+m summits. The 'Alps' or alpine is very broad brush wording. 

I've worn over trousers once walking in to a hut when it lashed down, knowing the next day was great, but didn't carry them on the route. I've taken them to wear during an overnighter (for brief snooze) instead of a bivi bag, which was an error as they were of little benefit. 

Toerag 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

> But I’m mostly seeing three quarter length zips as I vaguely cast around.

I have a VauDe pair with full length zips. Own brand membrane (Ceplex?) but they're fine and I'd buy them again. They have an inner mesh liner.

Neil Williams 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

A fairly cheap pair of Berghaus Aquafoil ones, don't think I've ever actually worn them other than to try them on as I prefer shorts if it's raining.

joe.91 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

I use a pair of these:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-trail-running-waterproof-rain-trousers-...

Much cheaper than MEs offerings, used extensively fell running in the lakes and hill running in scotland over multiple winters. Have the matching jacket too, good for running but not climbing (helmet doesn't fit). Only weight 197 grams. Size up. 

montyjohn 08 Jun 2022
In reply to joe.91:

The issue is getting them over your crampons and boots as they don't appear to zip up very far.

Street 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

I've got a pair of Marmot Precip Full Zip trousers. They were reasonably cheap when I bought them years ago, but they seem to have doubled in price now at about £80. However, they're lightweight and easy to get on with crampons on. 

My Tupilak pants are great, but only tend to get worn when I'll be wearing them all day as they're just too bulky to pack down whereas the Marmots are a backup pair that are mainly carried around.

Fiona Reid 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

Montane Dynamo, 3/4 length zips and super light and easy to get on over boots, trainers etc.

They are made from quite thin material but they've survived a few years without incident and still keep me dry so pretty pleased with them. 

BruceM 08 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

> Marmot Precip Full Zip trousers.

These.  Owned several pairs for 20 years.  Awesome.

In reply to mcawle:

I'm currently reviewing the Montane Pac Plus XT Waterproof Pants [sic].

They have only 3/4 length side zips, and they lack a fly, but in other respects could fit the bill.

They're light-ish (c.350g) and surprisingly packable, yet they have the protective feel of proper winter overtrousers with a burly 150D fabric and decent kevlar kick patches. Nicely cut for movement.

They don't quite have the tailored feel of ME Tupilak pants but they're a lot cheaper and light enough to carry just in case, year round, which as others have said is not something you'd say about Tupilaks and the like.

TobyA 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Street:

> I've got a pair of Marmot Precip Full Zip trousers. They were reasonably cheap when I bought them years ago, but they seem to have doubled in price now at about £80. However, they're lightweight and easy to get on with crampons on. 

Same here - mine must be going on 20 years though! I have found around the taping in the crotch area and on the inside legs the waterproof layer - the white on the inside has worn and started flaking off. Walking around in the peeing rain back in the winter I got wet legs in those regions. But, it probably took 15 years to get that point, and I bought them for taking ski touring as a back up layer over thick soft shell and long johns, and they actually still work fine for that when it's just snow involved. 

wbo2 09 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle: Marmot precip here as well, and a pair of cheapish Bergans full zip trousers as well.  I've worn them for a walk in, and they're for emergencies so style ain't important, and they're comfortably sized as well.  They're going over soft shells, and I prioritised waterproof over breathability

I'm not sure wearing shorts as an alternative in case it rains is a good tactic here.

Toerag 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Toerag:

> I have a VauDe pair with full length zips. Own brand membrane (Ceplex?) but they're fine and I'd buy them again. They have an inner mesh liner.

It seems they currently 2x full-zip trouser options - "Fluid full zip II" and "Yaras Rain III Zip", the latter being for cyclists with articulated knees.

Martin W 09 Jun 2022
In reply to Toerag:

> It seems they currently 2x full-zip trouser options - "Fluid full zip II" and "Yaras Rain III Zip", the latter being for cyclists with articulated knees.

Not having articulated knees is a significant handicap for anyone keen on cycling...

OP mcawle 11 Jun 2022
In reply to mcawle:

Thanks all, some good suggestions and I must just not have looked hard enough.

Full zip mandatory for my purposes as I’d want to be able to get them on standing on both feet when in big boots and crampons. The risk of baggy ankles with crampons is a good point and noted.

The suggestion to just wear vent-able shells is also an option perhaps when expecting inclement weather.

This is mostly theoretical at the moment as I’ve never actually been caught out but just something I’m thinking about.

Post edited at 08:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...