Emergency gear for dogs when in the hills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 17 Jun 2019

https://mountaindogware.com/

Just found this product - seems new as website (c) 2019. May be of interest to others on this site

Might get this as this potential accident (my dog breaking a leg on the hills) has always bugged me and I know how difficult it is to carry a dog in your arms - as I have done this from the local park after she got cut on glass - you move slowly and need far more regular breaks than you think and its quickly very tiring.

Rigid Raider 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Yikes, it's a good idea but with a heavy dog I'd imagine those webbing straps would soon cut right into you. I'd be more inclined to leave Rover in a sheltered spot with something prominent like clothing or a rope laid out to identify the place then go for help. And you could pop a smaller dog inside a rucsac for easier carrying and for shelter.

(Top marks to the dog in the first video though for patience!)

OP Flinticus 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

My dog, at 22kg, is medium. Leaving a dog to get help may not be a good option in cold, wet or winter conditions. I reckon you could easily add your own padding

DerwentDiluted 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

They might at least pack them in little panniers so the little buggers can carry them until needed. My long legged Jack Russell mutinied on the last 2 miles ofa  winter walk once, and I carried him, at 10kg it was fine for a few hundred meters but it soon got to be really hard work. I would have let him walk the last mile but a look in his eye told me he would spitefart all the drive home if I did. 

In reply to Flinticus:

I had a couple of occasions with my old collie, c18kg skinning her feet whilst out running over the central fells. My solution was to carry her like a shepherd carries a sheep, hind legs over one shoulder, front legs over the other and march on. 

Ten miles plus back to the car wearing a heated scarf was hard work. She was worth it. 

Ridge 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Must admit I've been thinking of something similar, but was thinking more of climbing slimgs threaded through jacket/fleece arms to improvise a sling/stretcher. My dog would probably try and eat the carrier/me when I tried to put it on him. 

I always carry a couple of cohesive bandages for either him or me. Easy to use and could be useful for gashes or sprains.

marsbar 17 Jun 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I wonder about using a long woven cloth in a similar way to baby wearing.  Less cutting in than straps maybe?  I wouldn't pay this much but there are a few different ways of tying shown.  Obviously the leg arrangement is slightly different with dogs, but you get the general idear.  

https://lovetobenatural.co.uk/baby-carriers/woven-wraps/didymos-woven-wraps...

Lifeismeaningless 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

I think this is what I would do with my 30kg Labrador, even better if he was resting on the top of my pack. I think I could get him home if needed. He's soppy enough at the best of times, definitely feels sorry for himself when he's hurt so I trust him not to struggle, it's more the weight that would be difficult. 

In reply to Lifeismeaningless:

I would do it all day every day to have her back. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...