REVIEW: Edelrid Attila Tec Axe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 12 Apr 2019
Attila Tec Montage The Attila Tec mountaineering axe features a fold-out grip rest and a plastic head grip. But how well do these additions stand up to the rigours of winter mountain use? Tom Ripley soon finds out.

Read more
 Dave Cundy 15 Apr 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

So the 'hand warmer' (the plasticky bit around the head of the pick) didn't stand up to much punishment.  And neither did the trigger rest.  And the adze is too narrow to be much use.  And the shaft looks like a bugger to grip properly because the manufacturer has specifically excluded a grip - so it won't be much fun an anything vaguely technical.  And it costs 50% more than your average walking axe.

I admit that I haven't used this axe.  I haven't even seen it.  And now I definetely don't want to.

I'm suprised at the positivity shown in the review's Conclusions, given all the caveats uncovered by the reviewer.  To me, this is a poor review.  It doesn't even discuss how the axe measures up to its competitors - is it value for money.  Come on UKC, you can do better than this.

As to the axe, it looks like an ill-conceived design excercise, aimed at novice punters who know know better.  It will cost a few quid more to manufacture but will add £40 to its profit margin.  And the user will quickly realise it's crap and buy something else.  Who is more cynical, me or the manufacturer ?!

In reply to Dave Cundy:

> I'm suprised at the positivity shown in the review's Conclusions, given all the caveats uncovered by the reviewer.  To me, this is a poor review.  It doesn't even discuss how the axe measures up to its competitors - is it value for money.  Come on UKC, you can do better than this.

I've just re read my review, and whilst the conclusion isn’t as blunt as it could have been, it in no way sings the axes praises. It simply states its failures in terms of both design and durability, whilst recognising that the axe still functions okay as an axe.

HTH

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...