DWR proofing softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ultinator 22 Jan 2017
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be any issues or problems with the following.

I am looking at trying to reproof the DWR on a softshell. I dont really know why there are so many products.
but I have nikwax direct washin, and noticed there is a softshell re proofer.

I have this
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nikwax+direct+wash+in&source=lnms&...

but wonder if this would provide better results or would the previous one cause any issues to the softshell?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nikwax+softshell+reproof&source=lnms&...

Will one casue me problems or something?
 The Potato 22 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator:

in my experience, nothing works (grangers or nikwax), but others may have better experience
 tkchips 22 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator:

There may be minor differences in concentrations of the active ingredients between the Nikwax TX direct washin and the proofer. But they will both do the job and won't cause any issues to the softshell.
ultinator 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Pesda potato:

I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know. Thought I'd at least try and see if it's a gimmick or not !
 nathan79 22 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator:

I've always used Nikwax spray-ons for my softshells to preserve the breathability. I didn't even realise the softshell reproofer came in a wash in.

As tkchips says the likelihood is only concentrations are what differ.
 thlcr1 22 Jan 2017
In reply to nathan79:

> I've always used Nikwax spray-ons for my softshells to preserve the breathability.

Me to although not for breathability but for wicking. I was told that if you use the wash in stuff it buggers up the liners ability to wick moisture away. Particularly important with Rabi VR's as I found out to my cost with my first one. After using wash in proofer started to get a lot of problems with the under layers getting very damp. Had to wash in detergent followed by tec wash, followed by spray on proofed, but was never the same again.

Lee
 nathan79 22 Jan 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

Aye, Nikwax themselves advise not using wash-in stuff for gear with wicking inners.
 bouldery bits 22 Jan 2017
In reply to thlcr1:

Particularly important with Rabi VR's as I found out to my cost with my first one.

Shalom!

Timmd 23 Jan 2017
In reply to thlcr1:
I've often wondering if washing-in would spoil wicking properties. I'm glad somebody has found out, but not that you've reduced how your Vapour Rise wicks.
Post edited at 02:07
 thlcr1 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> I've often wondering if washing-in would spoil wicking properties. I'm glad somebody has found out, but not that you've reduced how your Vapour Rise wicks.

Glad to be of use . To be fair, after washing with detergent then tec wash then spray on proofing, the wicking was pretty much back to normal. It was the dwr that was never quite the same again. Anyway wore that one out and replaced it with a newer and much better designed version. Won't make the same proofing mistake again.

Lee
 Jim Walton 23 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator:

So following on what people have said. Don't use wash in if it has a wicking line,

When it comes to the re-application of the DWR you have 3 choices and it comes down to how environmentaly consious you are. Flurocarbons make the reproofer stick like s#!t to the blankent but have been found to be harmful to the Environment and human tissue. The number of carbon chains in the product gives the product a C number. All Nikwax products are Flurocarbon free, thus C0. Nikwax use water soluble products.

The vast majority of Grangers Products are C0 except for one. Grangers Xtreme Repel is C6. This is, I'm told, about to be discontinued as Grangers have also an environmental policy (Blue Sign) that says that this is bad. It is very difficult to match fluorocarbon chemistry results (performance, durability and adherence), using more environmentally friendly materials. Grangers believe that their acrylic polymer gives as close performance as possible without the need for nasty flurocarbon chemistry, with regards to water repellence and durability,

You can read more about it here http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/aboutus/persistentflurocarbondanger.php but think before you buy a C6 or C8 product. Am I really that desperate to potentially get any of this?

Damage to immune system in children leading to an inability to respond to inoculations for tetanus and diphtheria
Increased incidence of cancer associated with PFC pollution
Compromised female fertility associated with PFC blood levels in women – delayed time to conception
Enlarged livers associated with PFC
Low birth weight associated with PFC
Reduced fertility associated with PFC
ultinator 23 Jan 2017
In reply to Jim Walton:

Holy cow. That's a lot of stuff just to get a jacket to be a bit water resistant again!!
I hate to say it, but ideally I would want the best results so even a c100,000 would be acceptable in my eyes. Well not literally in my eyes, that could have severe effects.

So basically, as it's a soft shell with a kind of fluffy liner, I need spray on goop?
 Jim Walton 23 Jan 2017
In reply to ultinator:

Yes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...