Double socks to reduce blisters. Yay or Nay?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 montyjohn 03 May 2022

I was buying some trail running shoes the other day, and happened to mention to the store guy that I've started wearing two pairs of socks, a thin liner (I think they are merino wool) and a thicker wool over sock.

My thinking was that the movement would occur between the socks, rather than on my skin. Plus more padding = good.

I think it helps, but I changed a few things at the same time so can't be sure.

The guy in the store strongly advised not to wear double socks as it can be the cause of friction and increase your chances of getting blisters. 

He advised I buy these socks that he uses and swears by. I just bought them to give them a go. When I put them on at home I realised that they had an inbuilt liner layer to them which as far as I can tell is exactly the same as wearing two pairs of socks.

What am I missing and what do you guys think about double up your socks as a way of controlling blisters?

Alkis 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I've never had blisters ever since I've started wearing double socks. I use a base layer of Bridgedale Coolmax liners and then whatever sock is appropriate for the use.

The end goal is to not have no movement between your skin and the layer directly above it. Extremely well fitting boots and socks will probably work for that, but physically, the idea that double socks would cause friction is nonsense, the whole point is that the slipping will occur between the two socks rather than between one sock and your foot, there is far less friction in that interface and it will slip.

AWP84 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Double layers have definitely stopped blisters for me. I go for very cheap, thin liner socks and quality outers of various thickness depending on season etc. I actually do the same for other sports and it's really helped my feet. I guess different methods work for different people, but I wouldn't write off double layers because they said that.

wbo2 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:  In boots it's fine .

In running shoes the worst blisters I've ever had were caused by double layer anti blister socks. So one thin layer for that

gethin_allen 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

As with most things, it depends.

A thin relatively tight fitting pair of liner socks can as said above provide a wear layer that saves your skin but there are a few caveats.

I'd say that coolmax synthetic socks are better that merino wool because although merino is great it doesn't move moisture as well as synthetics and keeping the skin dry is important because it gets soft when damp.

The liner needs to be well fitting so that it doesn't move relative to the foot and doesn't crease.

And, you don't want too much bulk in total (both socks together) or you can end up where you're unable to secure the foot in the shoe and you get move movement, so a thinner outer sock that usual could be good when paired with a liner sock.

I find sock care to be very important, washing them carefully and thoroughly, chucking them in the machine just doesn't cut it IMO.

Post edited at 10:01
 Mark Haward 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I think AWP84 hit the nail on the head when she/ he said different methods work for different people. 

Personally I find two pairs too hot and cause excess sweating leading to blisters for me in my running shoes or in boots. However, two layered socks ( such as the 1,000 mile socks ) work for me in scrambling / mountaineering boots in colder weather, single layer thin to medium thickness socks for warmer weather. 

My suggestion is to experiment ( perhaps with Compeeds to hand! ) and find what works for you.

midgen 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I always wear two pairs in mountain boots, a thin liner, and thicker pair over the top. I get blisters with only one pair....no problems with two.

OP montyjohn 03 May 2022
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. All very interesting.

> I'd say that coolmax synthetic socks are better that merino wool because although merino is great it doesn't move moisture as well as synthetics and keeping the skin dry is important because it gets soft when damp.

I just checked what I use as liners. I've got the Injinji finger socks which happen to be coolmax so I think I'm onto a winner. 

I bought them because I have chubby fingers and toes. It's weird because I'm otherwise slim, but I have 20 chub stubs and my toes rub together and I believe the finger socks help in this department.

Last weekend I made a major mistake. I decided to walk home via a hilly walk from a morning out with the family. I just wore cheap trainers which contributed to the the problem. Single layer of thousand mile merino socks. Didn't bother with the liners as it was only a slightly hilly 20km leisure walk.

But, and it's a big but.

The family activity was swimming.........

My feet were completely dry. Even had lunch after swimming but the skin must have been soft and my feet were completely trashed. 

It was 9 days ago and still suffering a bit. Never again.

DaveHK 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

The short answer is that it depends. Double socks can cause blisters if they make your shoes too tight but if your shoes are sized to accomodate them they work well in reducing rubs and providing additional cushioning.

I always wear double socks and I've never had any issues with blisters. I went for a massage the day after my Ramsay Round and the masseur commented on the fact that there wasn't a mark on my feet. Obviously not solely down to the socks but I'm convinced it played a part.

Ceiriog Chris 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Nay

CantClimbTom 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

2 pairs of thin socks (not thick walking socks) has always worked for me. But YMMV!  (your mileage may vary) as our American cousins say

BuzyG 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Another who wears two pairs of socks.  I usually wear a cotton sports sock under a wool walking sock.

tingle 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

My alpine go to is a thin coolmax type sock and thick wool hiking sock. Never had a problem with blisters and you can wear the wool socks for a week plus without them smelling. I wouldn’t wear them running though. I have worn those socks with toes in them for running and I can’t say I have ever had a bad time in them either. If you look at them go for a good running brand like injinji that don’t have seams. 

Derry 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

yay

Abu777 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I've grappled with similar issues regards stiffer winter boots. Double socks seemed to help me, particularly the 'blister prevention' double-lined socks followed by a thick winter sock. But as others have pointed out, if it makes the overall fit too snug it'll increase friction/blisters. Most success was found by applying compeed in high risk areas before setting off for the day. Gaffa tape can also be used but I like the padding and superb adhesion from the compeed plasters. I've also stuck some of these slippy pads in my boots, they are intended to help the sock glide over them instead of getting caught on the boot and rubbing your skin, but I haven't had the chance to properly road-test them yet: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engo-Blister-Prevention-Patches/dp/B003URZNW0

Toerag 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

The idea is that the inner sock (or inner layer in a 1000 mile one) can stick to your foot and the outer one can stick to the boot and they can slide over each other.  So the key is to have two layers that will slide over each other.  1000 mile and similar socks tend to have a very slippery inner layer (made of Tactel / Tencel or similar) thus work very well. Making your own 2-layer system means you may have more friction and the system won't work so well.

Ps. In my opinion there's 2 sorts of blisters - 'rubbing blisters' like you get on the back of your heel, and 'pounding blisters' you get at the edges of the ball of your foot where the fluid has been pounded out to the edges.  2 layers only help beat the rubbing blisters, I don't think anything helps with 'pounding' ones other than using surgical spirit to dry the skin out.  I think it helps massively to keep your feet cool in order to reduce sweating and softening, which means wearing shorts to allow the blood to your feet to cool down.

Doug 03 May 2022
In reply to Toerag:

>   I think it helps massively to keep your feet cool in order to reduce sweating and softening, which means wearing shorts to allow the blood to your feet to cool down.

I've found that removing my boots & socks for a while, usually while having lunch, stopped me getting blisters when walking in hot weather (eg Spanish Pyrenees in mid summer). I assume its because it allows feet, socks & boots to dry out rather than letting the sweat accumulate all day.

Neil Williams 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I get blisters if I wear one pair (even of good hiking socks).  I don't get blisters if I wear two pairs (even of something that'd typically be prone to causing blisters, e.g. two pairs of cheap nylon sports socks, as my current boots are such that if I wore two pairs of thick socks they'd be too tight, and that in itself causes heel blisters).

The way it works is that there is potentially more movement, but the movement is between the two pairs of socks, and not involving your skin.

Post edited at 18:10
 neuromancer 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

The even shorter answer is injinji toe socks. 

Just an absolute revelation. That and having shoes that actually fit you (I switched to altras). 

maybe_si 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

The guy in the shop is chatting rubbish!

Basemetal 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I suspect you have to find what works for you. I don't run, but I have sharp bones (!) and thin skin and walk a lot and winter climb, and I finally stopped getting blisters when I gave up wearing two pairs of socks (in either bendy boots or B2/B3s over many years).

The argument for two socks makes sense... but just didn't work for me somehow. But for a few years now wearing a single pair of thickish socks has  -like Smartwool Merino mix Mountaineers for winter, or my go to Costco 6-pack merino hiking socks for everything else (including MTB).

Sooo... an experiment will be more use than an argument for this one, I think.

Martin W 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

> The guy in the store strongly advised not to wear double socks as it can be the cause of friction and increase your chances of getting blisters. 

> He advised I buy these socks that he uses and swears by. I just bought them to give them a go. When I put them on at home I realised that they had an inbuilt liner layer to them which as far as I can tell is exactly the same as wearing two pairs of socks.

I'm in the same camp as a lot of respondents to this thread: thin Coolmax inner socks and normal pile-lined outer socks in my walking boots.  In running shoes, however, I only ever wore a single pair of socks and never got blisters.  (FWIW I don't run much if at all these days - too hard on the knees.)

Those two-socks-in-one socks sound like a pair that my wife bought for herself from Decathlon.  They seem to work for her but I'm not convinced that the design is all that sound.  For a start, the 'liner' part actually feels quite thick, which I think goes against a key part of the two pairs system.  For another thing, you can't experiment with different liners & outer socks to find a combo that works well for you.  And lastly, when it comes to washing them you've no idea what's going on inside what is effectively a sealed tube of fabric.  Might not be an issue for people with fairy fresh feet but with cheesy feet like mine I'd start to worry what might be hiding in there after a while...

Post edited at 21:38
 Timmd 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I'm not too sure if it's my Yorkshire upbringing, but it sounds to me like he told you not to wear 2 pairs of socks and sold you what amounts to 2 pairs of socks to make a sale. At least now you have more socks, that's always a pus, they wear through soon enough. 

Maybe there is something special about the socks he sold you, and I should be less sceptical...

Post edited at 22:04
 jim jones 03 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Best advice I ever heard was "if you need two pairs of socks the boots don't fit". 

wercat 04 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

I've worn double socks since the 80s when I started walking properly.  They have always worked for me.

I sometimes wear single if the boots don't have room.

Billhook 07 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

Like another poster said.  If you have to wear 2 pairs of socks you are wearing boots that are too big.

Ensure your boots fit properly.  

Wear thicker socks.  

Wear and use your boots often  

= You'll never get blisters. I've not had a blister for over 40 years.  

I've never tried or needed to wear more than one pair of socks but I'd have thought it would have meant foot placement and security on rough ground rather odd as you have a lot more potential for the foot to move within the boot.

Trangia 07 May 2022
In reply to montyjohn:

One pair of JCB socks on Ortho built up insoles. Works well for me, and very rarely get any sign of blisters. The most common reasons for blisters with me are delaying cutting of my toe nails too long, (as you get older cutting them gets harder due to lack of flexibility and eye sight poorer). Also important is to ensure that socks are fitting well all round with no slight rucks. Also remove any foreign bodies ie stones, grass seeds etc straight away- don't press on if you feel one. When wearing shorts foreign bodies get in more easily, so stop tout (ankle gaiters) work well here.

DaveHK 07 May 2022
In reply to jim jones:

> Best advice I ever heard was "if you need two pairs of socks the boots don't fit"

Catch all advice like that will seem good if it happens to work for you. If it doesn't then it's crap. So basically it's crap advice.

The best advice is to find what works for you.

Post edited at 08:22
 DaveHK 07 May 2022
In reply to Billhook:

> Like another poster said.  If you have to wear 2 pairs of socks you are wearing boots that are too big.

If everyone fit perfectly in the offered sizes then maybe that might be true but the reality is that they don't. Feet are weird and using different sock combos is one way to achieve a good fit. 

In reply to Abu777:

Engo patches worked well for me on various different types of footwear. Used for many years, and can’t recall ever getting a blister using them normally.

Only thing you had to be very careful about the heel ones particularly is not to roll the top of the patch when putting boot on which is, if it’s on the heel, quite difficult. It’s all to easy to roll a small edge and it will cause more problems (and prematurely will need replacing) if you don’t have it smoothly stuck back in place before walking.

I quickly realised that for me a shoe horn was the thing best to use whilst putting boots on. Of course, not ideal if you need to carry it for camping, etc. 

I also used the patches to extend the life of the likes of Inov8 shoes where the lining at heel had worn through prematurely (some sock didn’t seem kind to the lining and accelerated wear).

In reply to montyjohn:

For walking boots, my norm was coolmax liner and thicker sock over. On certain boots though that didn’t quite fit snugly, I could get blisters, and for those boots I used Engo patches.

For running, I only used one medium thickness sock and didn’t have blisters.

With my feet it seemed to be if heat built up on slightly ill fitting footwear/less flexible boots, I got blisters, but not if boots fitted well or with lighter footwear.

Post edited at 09:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...