Double SIM recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Durbs 17 Jul 2020

We currently have the Vango Comfort 10cm double SIM, which is wonderful to sleep on, however it's an absolute beast when "packed down" - almost as big as 6-man inflatable tent. Possibly worse as it's rolled up to be packed down which just makes a huge cylinder. I've tried just folding it but it's still huge.

Along with 90% of the UK, we're stay-cationing this year and camping for 9 nights, but my concern is we're taking the tent, gazebo, boulder-mat, kids bikes, cooking gear, fishing gear, children (sadly), coolbox etc etc, we probably won't have the space for it all due to the mattress.

For reference, car is a Skoda Octavia (not an estate)  + roof box (which doesn't fit the boulder mat).

So looking for suggestions for smaller double SIMs...

• Vango do a 7.5cm one - not sure if this would actually save much space compared to the 10cm?
  • Outwell do a 3cm but concerned it won't be thick enough?

Obviously more depth = bigger mattress, so just looking for the sweetspot.

So yes, any recommendations from fellow "luxury campers" welcome.

spenser 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Durbs:

https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping-mats/products/double-dozer

I've got the single version, really comfy. If you call them up they'll probably be happy to give you an indication of when one is likely to arrive.

bouldery bits 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Durbs:

Well.... You're taking bouldering pads anyway...

OP Durbs 17 Jul 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Yeah - and had it been the Moon Saturn, we'd be sorted, but that doesn't fit in the boot... Our normal mat isn't big enough (for two)

bouldery bits 17 Jul 2020
In reply to Durbs:

Ah, fair enough! 

For car camping, we just take a double airbed which works well for us. We've got a nice-ish Coleman one. Packs relatively small, cheap. Just don't forget the foot pump... That was a work out!

(this is yet another classic 'thats not what I asked for!' UKC answer)

Sounds like a fab trip. Enjoy!  

OP Durbs 17 Jul 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

Yeah, I've given up on airbeds - they're invariably seem to puncture relatively easily and just end up going to landfill.

Have had the Vango for probably 6 years now, and whilst it does have a leak, this just means it inflates when packed away...  It's a great guest bed, as it's so comfy, and we take it with us when staying with friends too for crashing on the floor. Just too big for the car with a weeks worth of stuff.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...