Do i have narrow heels?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GoneFishing111 26 Jan 2020

I have tried countless shoes on and i am yet to find a shoe that fits my heel, currently on my second pair of skwamas which are that baggy i nearly pull the shoe off sometimes. I don't think its a size issue as i size them down quite aggressively.

My question is - i hear a lot of talk of foot/heel width and i have no idea what shape my foot is apart from big.

Would the fit i get from a skwama suggest i have a narrow heel?

In reply to GoneFishing111:

Try Skwama low volume. 

I cant tell if you have narrow heels without seeing them! Another option would be Tenaya as they're lower volume than La Sportiva

GoneFishing111 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Brilliant, thanks.

Stairclimber 26 Jan 2020

I have a similar problem and have found the women's version of shoes often provide the answer, but of course that depends on size availability. 

carr0t 27 Jan 2020

I have just gone through the same shoe buying nonsense and spent a lot of time trying stuff in lots of different sizes. I would recommend you measure up your foot to figure out if you're a wide or narrow fit.

A site like this may prove useful: https://www.sandpipershoes.com/foot-measurement-guide

I found that I have wide feet. Due to this, any narrow shoes that I tried needed to be bigger to accommodate the volume, leading to a sloppy heel and fit overall. A wide shoe allowed me to get a much better fit. 

Armed with that information, I would consult the manufacturer sizing charts to see what models you should be targeting. Such as this:

https://www.lasportiva.com/en/climbing-shoes-technical-information

Based on this chart, it would seem that the skwama is a moderate width shoe. If you indeed have narrow feet, you may need to look into trying a pair of solutions or Miura depending on what the shoe is for.

If you are like me and have wide feet, I would try a wide fitting shoe in a smaller size. I found the Scarpa instinct vsr to be an excellent fit for my feet, with that desired shrink-wrap feel.

Good luck!

neuromancer 27 Jan 2020

I can't believe the shoe is being pulled off your foot if you have 'sized aggressively' i.e. bought a shoe you couldn't get on without a plastic bag on your foot for at least a few sessions.

It could be your shoes are too narrow, forcing you to take too large a size to fit your toes in - so you might 'feel' the fit is aggressive, but it's not as aggressive as it could be if you could actually fit your toes into the toe box. The skwama has a ton of rubber on the toe box - this means it won't conform as much to a wide foot as something like a Miura VS.

I'd try an Instinct VS/R in something like 1.5-2 UK below street and then see how the heel fits.

GoneFishing111 27 Jan 2020
In reply to neuromancer:

Im a 47 in sportiva TX2 trainers and im wearing a 42.5 skwama.

I was thinking the vsr, one of the few shoes i have never actually tried, thanks for your help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...