DIY ice axe spike protector?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gordonbp 23 Jan 2023

Grrr! I lost my spike protector in a low hanging bush at the week end. The axe is a Camp Chouinard with a round spike, not a flat one.

Any suggestions for a DIY protector?

CameronDuff14 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

If you have any lying around the rubber protector from the end of a walking pole could work?

Jamie Hageman 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

Firstly, great that you're using a nice Chouinard axe.  

Secondly, was it a big chunky red rubber thing that you lost?  I might have one!

OP Gordonbp 23 Jan 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

That's a great idea. Thanks

Rick Graham 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

This is a situation where not sorting out the accumulated junk in the garage or shed pays a dividend. 

A short length  of hose from a family camping stove , or garden hose might fit nicely. Or fashion something out of multiple layers of duct tape.

Ciro 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

Sugru?

tehmarks 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

Cardboard and electrical tape for a true bodge job.

nniff 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

For the spike, I don't bother, but use hosepipe for picks.  If going in a cable car, I just take the axes off or put them down the side.

Dave Garnett 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

A good quality champagne cork?

Basemetal 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

Bit of garden hose? Also works for picks (squish flat and push to fit..

leon 1 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Basemetal: Also works for picks (squish flat and push to fit..)

If you put the cut piece of hose in a glass of boiling water for 30 seconds it softens it up and it can then be pushed / stretched/ moulded onto the pick easier, remove it, push it back on to the pick (almost, but not quite as far as the initial attempt) and then pour cold water over it to set it.

Post edited at 14:15
 CantClimbTom 23 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

I've used hose from a car radiator system, but any hose of the right diam is going to do.

Not sure that cable car matters in this as whenever I've been in them you have to take off and carefully hold your rucksack anyway? (maybe that's just a French thing?)

PaulJepson 24 Jan 2023
In reply to Gordonbp:

I use old bike inner tube on my spiky things to great success. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...