Decathlon Simond Rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aostaman 11 Jun 2020

Has anybody recently used or have experience of the 70m Simond Climbing Rope 9.5mm. I am looking to recommend a gear list for a newbie in Brisbane Australia. It's mainly sport and the rock is sandstone. There are a couple of (disparaging) reviews but they are two years old.

Gosh gear is expensive in Oz.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cliff-95mm-x-70m-green-id_8495200.html

I buy and keep my sport ropes in Italy. I don't even remember the brand (I know a couple of guides and they were buying them so I picked one off the pile end of season).

Thanks for any assistance.

Shapeshifter 11 Jun 2020
In reply to aostaman:

I haven’t tried that exact rope but I’ve got one of Decathlon’s 8.9mil 80m ropes and it’s been absolutely fine. No difference to other manufacturers ropes I’ve had. 

If you do a search of previous Decathlon ropes threads on UKC in general the response is pretty positive - I think I read their ropes are made by Beal but may have imagined that 

tehmarks 11 Jun 2020
In reply to aostaman:

Despite the misleading prices, Decathlon produce some pretty great gear of their own. Simond used to be a well-respected brand, and nothing seems to have changed since they joined the Decathlon group. I'd happily buy one of their ropes - that is, if I didn't already have five others!

Iamgregp 11 Jun 2020
In reply to aostaman:

I've never used one of their ropes but there was a loooong thread/argument on here a while back, and I gleaned they are made by another (very reputable) manufacturer.  Not the fanciest or nicest ropes to use but perfectly safe, durable and very reasonably priced.

Spend a bit more and you'll get something that handles a little nicer or whatever, but if you're putting together some gear and are on a budget this is certainly an item you can make a saving on by going with Decathlon.

Jamie Wakeham 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Agree entirely.  All my 'work' ropes are Simond/Decathlon, and they are absolutely adequate; it allows me to keep my fancy ropes for personal climbing!

OP aostaman 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Thanks James and to everyone who replied. I'll go for the Simond. I have to say I've bought quite a bit of non climbing stuff from them and for the price it's been really good. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...