Decathlon ropes - rando

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MB42 10 Jun 2020

I'm looking for a lightweight 40m-ish dry treated rope primarily for use on glaciers and rock ridge routes.

I was planning to get a 50m 8.x mm half rope and cut it down as needed but stumbled across the decathlon rando. Its sold at 40m and dry treated (and cheap given it will be used a few times a year!), but is 7.5mm and in the description they seem careful to avoid any mention of climbing and 'rando' suggests a walking rope. It appears to be rated as a half rope though and the stats they give are similar to their climbing ropes. Has anyone used one and have any thoughts?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rando-dry-75-mm-x-40m-purple-id_8495167.html

Other than the slight scariness of abseilling on such a skinny rope is there a reason to avoid it? Any recommendations for other ropes that might fit the bill welcome

Neil Williams 10 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

It appears to show the half-rope and twin-rope symbols on the packaging, which a walking rope wouldn't?

Edit: or maybe it would: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hiking-rope-75-mm-x-30-m-id_8338026.html.  Odd.

Post edited at 14:01
OP MB42 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yeah I was just wondering if I'd missed something, I would have thought they would have highlighted its utility for climbing too as I thought that super skinny dry ropes were popular with hardcore winter climbers.

Edit: Ok weirder on the link you put for the 30m version, which is explicitly called a hiking rope they do suggest its good for winter and ice climbing...

Post edited at 14:09
 Andy Hardy 10 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

If you're not sure, don't buy. You can probably buy a 40m length from a roll of climbing rope somewhere online (or wait until you can get to a real shop)

Doug 10 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

rando is probably from ski de randonée so probably aimed at ski touring

vscott 10 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

As far as I'm aware there's no separate rating for a dynamic walking/alpine/glacier rope (others may know better), so they generally have half and/or twin rope test ratings e.g. the decathlon one has both, beal 8mm rando rope is twin rated, and may indeed in some cases be short lengths of half/twin ropes rebranded. In short, I've happily used a decathlon rando rope for ski touring and easy alpine routes/scrambles including abseils and its worked perfectly well. 

As an aside, there's now a move towards lighter and skinnier still dyneema ropes for ski touring usage - these are less much dynamic and seem designed for non-fall holding situations e.g. only abseils/crevasse rescue, though there is I think an edelrid version which is tested to hold a small falls. They are however much pricier than dynamic rando ropes.    

aostaman 10 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

See below the description on the website from your link:

Compact and lightweight, this rope is perfect for easy alpine snow climbs, glacier walking, ski touring or setting up a handrail.Thin and very lightweight, it hardly takes up any room in your backpack. DRY treated, it helps you to safely advance on glaciers and over craggy passages, whether you are on foot or with skis.

It's quite clear I think. It depends on what you want to do. however 40m halved for abseil (cos you need to retrieve it) is only 20m, so if the plan is 'assisted safety descents' for short sections away from sharp edges ie steep snow sections OK. I personally wouldn't want this anywhere near steep rock and sharp edges.

There is a link to talk to someone at Decathlon as well.

ebdon 10 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

I've got one of these for exactly the purposes you describe (got it originally for glacial ski touring) , it seems to be fine but be aware it's too skinny for standard belay plates, you either need to use a Italian hitch or a skinny plate (I have a petzl reversino for such things).

ilw 10 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Where can you buy cost effective off a roll rated dynamic climbing rope Andy?

Andy Hardy 11 Jun 2020
In reply to ilw:

https://www.dicksclimbing.com/collections/all-rope/products/beal-102mm-anti...

Although before Josie retired, I'd have gone to Alpenstock I'm sure if you have a local proper climbing shop they'd be able to sort you out.

galpinos 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Had Alpenstock closed for good?!

Andy Hardy 11 Jun 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Yep. It's now a tattoo parlour. Because there's a massive shortage of tattoo parlours <eyeroll>

duchessofmalfi 11 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

In reply to galpinos:

I alpine, trad and winter climb using the 60m versions of these and they are excellent. You have to get used to the act of looking down and seeing you are tied on with shoelaces because they are very, very thin (yes, they do hold falls). When you first tie on you'll end up with very long tails because the knots are so small and that takes a little adjustment.  They handle just fine.

You will need a grippy belay device as they are very slippery and they do like to tangle a bit more than the thicker ropes I've used but you get used to both. They seem to wear ok (I doubt they will outlast my mamut ropes (indestructable) but they have definitely lasted better than my beal ropes).

Dark-Cloud 11 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

I just bought a 30M Beal something or other from Needlesports, they just chop a 60M half and sell them, I use it for scrambling, via ferrata and ski touring etc.

galpinos 11 Jun 2020
In reply to vscott:

> As far as I'm aware there's no separate rating for a dynamic walking/alpine/glacier rope (others may know better),

You are correct. The standards are:

EN 892:2012 + A1:2016 - Mountaineering equipment - Dynamic Mountaineering Ropes

UIAA 101 - Dynamic Ropes

If they are a dynamic rope they there will conform to one (EN)/both standards if they are on the market in the EU.

> so they generally have half and/or twin rope test ratings e.g. the decathlon one has both, beal 8mm rando rope is twin rated, and may indeed in some cases be short lengths of half/twin ropes rebranded. In short, I've happily used a decathlon rando rope for ski touring and easy alpine routes/scrambles including abseils and its worked perfectly well.

The one thing I would bear in mind is that on a rock ridge, the thing that will cause your rope to fail is it getting cut over a sharp edge. 

> As an aside, there's now a move towards lighter and skinnier still dyneema ropes for ski touring usage - these are less much dynamic and seem designed for non-fall holding situations e.g. only abseils/crevasse rescue, though there is I think an edelrid version which is tested to hold a small falls. They are however much pricier than dynamic rando ropes.   

These (both the Petzl RAD and Edelrid Rap Line) are tested to/sold under different standards:

EN 564 -  Mountaineering equipment - Accessory Cord

UIAA 102 - Accessory Cord

There is NO dynamic element to these standards, there are a static pull test only. They are for "Accessory cord or rope with a core and sheath construction with a nominal diameter of 4 mm to 8 mm for force absorption and not energy absorption".

galpinos 11 Jun 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

That's a shame. Didn't go there that often but but losing a proper shop like that is always a sad day.

tonyaitch 11 Jun 2020
In reply to MB42:

It's rated as both a twin and a half rope. I've been using a 60m as one of my ice/winter/alpine climbing ropes for 6/7 years and it has held up really well. Only started absorbing water this last winter. Time to retire it. I'll happily buy another, but wouldn't use it for cragging.

Oh - and echo comments above about stretch. The doooooo stretch a lot.

Post edited at 21:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...