Crag descent shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marky 03 May 2019

Looking for recommendations for best lightweight approach shoes with a decent (Vibram?) sole to carry on harness for crag descents. I currently use a pair of Evov cruzers which are lightweight but the sole is not great for muddy descents. 

mrphilipoldham 03 May 2019
In reply to marky:

Adidas Terrex Swift/Solo/Whatever they are now!

Dan Arkle 03 May 2019

In reply to :

Go to decathlon and get the lightest running shoes with enough knobbles on. 

alibrightman 04 May 2019
In reply to marky:

My favourite is Inov8 X-Talon.  They work well on steep grass when new, and are great on rock. They are expensive and wear down quickly, though.  When worn down, they're still good for rocky approaches and descents in dry conditions.

I prefer Mudclaws for wet, grassy descents such as the approach to Stac an Fharaidh.  Mudclaws feel odd on rock when new, as the spikes are so long, but they feel very secure when teetering around on grassy ledges over a big drop.  

I haven't looked at what Decathlon has to offer, but Dan Arkle's advice sounds good too.

Cheers

Al

mattrm 04 May 2019
In reply to marky:

I can third a pair of fell running/off road running shoes.  Ideally with a thumb loop on the back so you can clip them to your harness.  Something like the inov 8 roclite 295 would do the job I reckon.

Baron Weasel 04 May 2019
In reply to marky:

I like MoreMiles fell shoes. Really light and about £30 delivered. 

Tigger 04 May 2019
In reply to marky:

I picked up some cheap vibram five fingers, they roll up into a 1liter dry bag! Admitedly the main reason was that my feet are size 10.5 and my girlfriend is 5' 5" so seconding with my shoes kicking her in the calfs was a pain.

Fiona Reid 04 May 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

Ooooh, they look interesting. I usually go for Scarpa or inov-8 but having destroyed my scarpa neutron (no sole left) after about 200km of hill wandering I'm looking for cheaper options!

To the OP, my Scarpa neutron are great on wet grass but the soles wear pretty fast which seems a common problem if you want both light weight and grippy. 

Post edited at 16:23
 Oliver Smaje 05 May 2019
In reply to marky:

Take a pair of approach shoes, rip off the soles, rotate 180 degrees, glue back on.

heleno 05 May 2019
In reply to marky:

Another vote for lightweight fell running shoes such as Inov 8. The mudclaws are great for grass, peat and mud.

Approach shoe brands like Scarpa and 5.10 may look the part but don't seem to be designed with British hills in mind. 

Post edited at 19:04
 UKC Forums 06 May 2019
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Fiona Reid 10 May 2019
In reply to Baron Weasel:

I ordered a pair of More Mile Cheviot based on your post... £20 posted for a ladies pair (they do have pink on!!). Fit great, look pretty well made so will see whether I can get more than 200km out of them before I destroy them.

The grips are amazing, pretty deep and lots of them. They certainly look like they'll be pretty good on slippy terrain. 

yodadave 10 May 2019
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Fiona and Baron,

did you size up a half size as per the website? I'd love to have a £20 option of approach type trainers

Fiona Reid 10 May 2019
In reply to yodadave:

Nope, I'm normally a 5 and just went for that. I spent all day wandering round the office and no issues. Super There's comfy even if they do have blooming pink bits!!!

They have more space in the toes lengthwise than my Scarpa ones. Looking forward to trying them out in anger. Looking at the number and size of the grips I expect they'll be pretty good. 

Doghouse 10 May 2019
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Great looking shoe and value at the price but I've had two pairs that fell apart in pretty short order on standard Lakes fell running terrain.

rachelpearce01 10 May 2019
In reply to marky:

I suggest cheep water shoes, the sort you can get for 3£ from Tesco! They are super lightweight and actually have quite decent soles on them! Great for standard descents but maybe not gnarly mountain walk offs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...