Crack Climbing Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dutton 30 May 2023

Does anyone else find the price of these types of gloves slightly confusing? I mean for the amount of material in them, they must cost less than a £2 each to make.

robertoo3 30 May 2023
In reply to Dutton:

I can't imagine crack gloves are a product that are sold in particularly large volumes - a higher profit margin per item is probably needed to make the business viable for a niche item, sold to a fairly small potential market, than for other outdoor kit.

Plus, having worked in outdoor retail in the past and seen the margins on most technical clothing, for example, I don't think crack gloves are the thing to worry about - the manufacturing cost of a lot of outdoor clothing is peanuts compared to the sale price! 

timparkin 30 May 2023
In reply to Dutton:

If they're £2 to make, double that for shipping, double again for taxes, double again for company costs, double again (or more) for retail markup

olddirtydoggy 30 May 2023
In reply to Dutton:

You seen the price of a Goretex jacket these days?

Cobra_Head 31 May 2023
In reply to Dutton:

Aren't they just cheating, like chalk.

What would Joe Brown say?

pete3685 31 May 2023
In reply to Dutton:

Offwidth aficionado, Stu Bradbury, makes crack gloves to order. They are the dogs. Yes, more expensive than mass produced ones, but they will last! Tested on all sorts of rock types, including the sharpest Cornish granite, and they have survived. You can reach Stu here:

https://cornwallseacliffclimbing.co.uk/

wbo2 31 May 2023
In reply to Cobra_Head: I think he would have said ' I'd like a pair of those for these fantastic looking cracks in rocks that are considerably sharper than grit, thanks'. 

Because he was interested in climbing,  not bleeding.  

OP Dutton 31 May 2023
In reply to Dutton:

All very reasonible replies, I'll still try and make my own before forking out 40 odd quid for a pair, I mean they're the same price as a terrible harness! 

Cobra_Head 01 Jun 2023
In reply to wbo2:

> I think he would have said ' I'd like a pair of those for these fantastic looking cracks in rocks that are considerably sharper than grit, thanks'. 

>  Because he was interested in climbing,  not bleeding.  

hmmmm?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...