PRODUCT NEWS: Climbers' Club Guide to South Devon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Jul 2018
South Devon, 5 kbSouth Devon offers a wealth of varied climbing. This sister guide to Dartmoor (2017) covers all the climbing outside of the granite mass. Whilst the main attractions for visiting climbers are the adventure routes and Deep Water Solos on Torbay limestone, there are enough sport climbs, boulder problems, and trad climbs to keep locals busy for years. This is the only definitive guide to every climb in South Devon and it fully documents all recent developments.

Read more
In reply to UKC Gear:

I should be receiving my copy later today, will post some initial impressions as soon as I've finished my first pass. A more detailed review will be published within the next few weeks.

Very excited to see this one!

Niall Grimes 12 Jul 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

The photos look superb in this!

In reply to UKC Gear:

I'm going to keep this short, simply so that it's very much a 'first impression' and not an actual review, but here's my opening gambit: what a lot of routes!!

In fact, I should really qualify that, as there's not just routes, there's boulder problems, sport climbs, DWS, and just when you think you'd got it all there's even an alpine grade or two thrown in for the various sandstone monstrosities at Ladram Bay (a nice tip of the cap towards the obscurity of the old Nick White guide).

As a result of the sheer quantity (it's just over 500 pages) this is not a guide you're able to digest within a single session. I barely feel like I've scratched the surface and am looking forward to days/weeks of pouring over the pages. There's pictures aplenty, not to mention the sexiest front cover of any guide in recent years (Ben, you look fantastic), and all-in-all it leaves me very excited about the 1st August.

Still, White Rhino Tea - 6c/+???

Wft 12 Jul 2018

The best sport route in the country.

The best dws route in the country (and therefore by extension the world).

The best flowstone in the country.

I bloody love South Devon 

In reply to Wft:

> The best dws route in the country (and therefore by extension the world).

On that note, it's probably about time to air the following article written by the guidebook author back in 2011: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/britains_finest_climb-3218

Having done this route, I really can't think of many that compare...

Finally, we've got a South Devon destination article coming out within the next week or two (again, written by Pete - what a hero), so keep your eyes peeled for that.

tomrainbow 12 Jul 2018

Can't wait to see it...I just hope Pete hasn't done too good a job such that S Devon doesn't lose its 'quiet little backwater with lashings of esoteria' status.

Mark Kemball 13 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Just got my copy, a quick skim, wow. Really like the "Magical Mystery Tour send train", p213. I'm afraid theCulm guide is going to really struggle to come up to that standard!

In reply to Mark Kemball:

Surely a popular route such as The Verger (E1 5a) has a send train every weekend

Mick Ward 13 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Congratulations Pete!  And everyone else involved.

Mick

Kafoozalem 14 Jul 2018
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Hi Mark. As you know - far too much time on my hands, a very driven collaborator in Simon Wooster and not all of my crags have fallen down between visits . Looking forward to further detailed coverage of the south west.

spenser 14 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Don't the Culm crags usually fall apart during visits?

tomrainbow 14 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

> Hi Mark. As you know - far too much time on my hands, a very driven collaborator in Simon Wooster and not all of my crags have fallen down between visits . Looking forward to further detailed coverage of the south west.

Hasn't stopped you starting work on the next edition, if today's efforts at BHQ are anything to go by.

Great guide Pete - thanks for all your hard work. Tolstoy had nothing on you, he didn't even take any piccies!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...