Cheap Android phone with reliable GPS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr. Lee 15 May 2022

Looking for recommendations as per the title. Using a Moto G20 currently and the GPS is hopeless. My location regularly shows as low accuracy within Google Maps. I use Gaia often and my location sawtooths all over the place when recording, unless I have Strava running simultaneously. Played with all the phone settings without any improvement. Gaia claim it is the chipset on some of the newer Samsung phones and evidently other brands. My old G5 suffered from none of these problems. Not bothered about camera quality. Would like a newish model to hopefully maintain decent operating performance and battery life going forward. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

​​​​

Marek 15 May 2022
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> ... I use Gaia often and my location sawtooths all over the place when recording, unless I have Strava running simultaneously...

That suggests that there's nothing wrong with your phone, just that Gaia has a problem (e.g., doesn't use the Android Location API correctly). If so, then changing phones is unlikely to be a good solution.

GarethSL 15 May 2022
In reply to Mr. Lee:

You're alive!

OP Mr. Lee 15 May 2022
In reply to Marek:

That is definitely true, it's not necessarily my phone. There again, my old G5 worked perfectly and my partner uses an iPhone without problems. I could be waiting forever for Google/Gaia to fix things with my G20 since I know the Gaia problem has existed for over a couple of years now. I think Google is probably more annoying on a daily basis. 

Post edited at 19:56
OP Mr. Lee 15 May 2022
In reply to GarethSL:

Yes seems that way :-D

Tringa 16 May 2022
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I have an old Motorola G4 that works well. I last used it in NW Scotland about a week ago and it found my position very quickly on the OS app and my grid reference via the free OS Locate.

Dave

phizz4 16 May 2022
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I've been using a Moto G7 Power for a few years with no GPS issues. Locates fast and accurately with Viewranger (as was) and OS. Faster than my Satmap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...