cheap 80m

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 31 May 2018

I'm looking for an 80m rope, cheap as chips, to chop into 35m and 45m cragging ropes. Ideally 9.5/9.8mm, but would go to 10mm for a really cheap rope. Any bargains out there I might have missed? Thanks.

beardy mike 31 May 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

PS they do them in 45m and 35m lengths aswell!

OP bpmclimb 31 May 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

Thanks. Noticed a green 9.5x80 there too, for £90. It's a good price. However, I don't know about those ropes in terms of wear and handling ... I saw a deal on Trekkin for a Tendon Smartlite 9.8x80 for £105. I wonder if the extra £15 would buy me any more quality?

beardy mike 31 May 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

Not sure either but I'd suspect they're not bad... Simond has historically been good and most of their mountaineering clothing gets good reviews... they've just cut out the middle man.

OP bpmclimb 31 May 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

Well done ticking Screwballed, by the way - I remember enjoying that one

Climber_Bill 31 May 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

> I'd suspect they're not bad.

A couple of climbing partners have bought the Simond 10mm x 80m whilst out in France. One 3 years ago and one last year. Both ropes are doing well and lasting OK. The 3 year old rope has been chopped at the working end once or twice, but that's not unusual.

TJB.

beardy mike 31 May 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

Cheers! By the way after a bit mor research it looks like they are rebranded cousin-trestec ropes...

SGD 31 May 2018
In reply to bpmclimb:

We have a Simond 30m as our indoor rope atm and so far so good (3 months of use) the sheath on 1st acquaintance appears quite rough and therefore the handling isn't as nice as a more expensive brand, you will notice it when it runs over your hand as you clip. Although it is still pretty slick through a standard bug and a grigri2. The flip side of this is that the rope is holding up to indoor abuse very well. So in summary very hard wearing work horse rope that lacks the finesse and handling qualities of other brands.

Hope this helps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...