CE labelling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 apache 05 Nov 2020

CE labelling on QuickDraws.

Hi- I’ve recently bought a bunch of Petzl Express dogbones. When I checked the CE label on the dogbones  the details provided are CE0197 05. Looking at the CE website it says that Petzl changed its certification number in 2012 to 082. I’m presuming that the 05 corresponds to 2005- am I correct.

Should I be asking for a refund if they really were produced in 2005 or at the latest 2011?

Thanks

In reply to apache:

Why don't you ring Petzl UK or speak to whoever sold them to you.

Petzl can be contacted through Lyon on: 015396 24040

HTH

galpinos 05 Nov 2020
In reply to apache:

Petzl did indeed change it's notified body from TUV (notified body 0197) to APAVE (notified body 0082) at the start of 2012. I would second the recommendation to contact Lyon.

For clarification/further info, the CE standard applicable for the dogbones is CE EN 566. The UIAA standard is 104.

In reply to galpinos:

Presumably the UK will soon be able to manufacture climbing gear that complies with the new Breaxit standards, rather than the CE ones, for sale to all those "new markets" outside EU. 

djwilse 05 Nov 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Presumably the UK will soon be able to manufacture climbing gear that complies with the new Breaxit standards, rather than the CE ones, for sale to all those "new markets" outside EU. 

Hurrah and we can make bent gate carabiners rather than the EU straight ones.. and blue slings as well...

galpinos 05 Nov 2020

We can't afford to, nor does our Government have the inclination to, write "Brexit" standards.

Ultimately we will have to make things to CE EN standards to sell them in the EU but we will have lost our voting rights on the standards. Though as I understand it, we will be welcome to sit on the Technical Committee (TC136 WG5) and contribute, just not vote.

JB35 05 Nov 2020
In reply to apache:

Well...

It was required in the old version of the PPE Directive to have the date the CE Marking was applied to the product, which is indeed 2005 in this case.

It is legally required for the PPE to comply with the legislation applicable at the time the product was 'Placed on the market', that is, the moment at which Petzl advertised it for sale. It is, however, not required for distributors (the shop you bought it from) to be ensuring their stock is in compliance with the most recent legislation.

Petzl's website seems to suggest that anything which is not declared to the most recent legislation or standards should be retired, which is in direct contrast to the European Commission guidance...

I would say if you're looking for some advice, trading standards may be able to help, as I doubt Lyon or Petzl will be particularly interested.

OP apache 05 Nov 2020
In reply to galpinos:

To galpinos and TOm,

Thanks for the info; spoke to Petzl UK who've asked for some photos. I don't live in the UK, so it's possible that these Express slings are either very old or copies. In either case I'm returning to the shop I bought them from; customer protection for returned goods isn't great where I live... but word of mouth does.

artif 05 Nov 2020

Part of my job is to travel the world ensuring items are produced in accordance with the appropriate standards.

EN standards and occasionally USA standards are the universal standards that are the benchmark, regardless of where the goods are sold/used. If we want to deal with the EU our goods will still have to comply with their standards. The rest of the world know and understand these as well.

For outside the EU, I suppose we (the UK) could knock up our own new set of standards that we could try and sell to the rest of the world but I suspect they will be copies of the EN ones.

Except maybe where it would advantageous to someone (Bojo's mates) to make money.

jimtitt 05 Nov 2020
In reply to galpinos:

Then the thorny question of applicability as the CE mark is only applicable and valid for products sold in the EU so there can be no enforcement if the product is sold elsewhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...