Cassin x dream alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Colin Dyer 18 Mar 2020

I have a very specific technical question about these tools. The alpine version of the X dream is rarely stocked in shops so I have not been able to have a look for myself.

The questions is, in the handle of the alpine model, is the protruding spike at the bottom part of a continuous piece of metal which is bolted to the shaft at the top? If so, does this extend the T rating to the entire shaft allowing you to clip to the bottom of the tools and include them in belays (as extra points, not the main one obviously)?

Any insight appreciated.

richgac 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Colin Dyer:

The spike is an extension of the aluminum core of the handle, which does look to be a single piece, connected to the shaft by a stainless steel bolt. I haven’t seen a specified load rating for the spike hole but my assumption would be that due to the design they are ‘full strength’.  The hole in the handle takes a skinny biner too. 

OP Colin Dyer 18 Mar 2020
In reply to richgac:

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm no engineer but I suppose that would mean that the breaking strain of the handle spike would need to either rupture the metal itself or shear the bolt which secures it in place? Either way, big forces and suitable for clipping to.

DanielJ 18 Mar 2020
In reply to richgac:

This is also my understanding. I’ve used this axe (equalized with a good screw) in belays several times.

DaveHK 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Colin Dyer:

They look good. Spike and something of a hammer. They're now top of the list for when my Nomics die.

OP Colin Dyer 18 Mar 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

Mine too.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

richgac 19 Mar 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

They are good.  The best axes I've ever swung on ice.  Put the Nomics to rest already

My only slight misgiving has been that despite their T-rating they don't feel quite as robust as some alternatives for really burly mixed.

ColdWill 19 Mar 2020
In reply to richgac:

They have quite bit of flex in the handle but never had a breakage. Plenty strong enough to stein pull off so not weak at all. I don't notice the flex in normal climbing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...