Car roof boxes - short, narrow ones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 17 Jun 2022

Currently, I've got a Thule Alpine 500, which is one of the long, narrow boxes - it's 220cm long, 55cm wide and 40cm high. Width allows me to have bikes or kayak next to the box.

Works great on an estate car, but doesn't fit my current car. Because of the position of the roof rails on the car and where the mounting points are on the box, I can't fit it far enough forward to open the car boot, as the boot trim hits the back edge of the box.

I don't really want to start drilling holes in the box, as it would push it too far forward and leave the front a bit unsupported.

So, I'm trying to find a box of similar width, but shorter length - I know they exist, I've seen them, but don't know what make they are and searching online only seems to bring up short wide ones.

Any clues appreciated.

Swig 17 Jun 2022
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Have you checked out roofbox.co.uk? Has all the measurements with at least a bit of categorisation into short/long etc

Cake 17 Jun 2022

I don't think I've ever seen what you are seeking. If you don't find one, I would get the drill out and get the box as far back as possible.

OP LastBoyScout 17 Jun 2022
In reply to Swig:

Yes, been there, checked that. 75cm seem to be the narrowest "short" one they do.

The only really narrow ones they list are the very long ones for skis, which is what I've got.

Fraser 17 Jun 2022

Could you clamp a narrow, timber 'deck' onto the bars and shunt the fixing points for your existing box forward, thereby avoiding the need to make new holes in it?

Swig 17 Jun 2022

Does your make or car do their own line of boxes?

OP LastBoyScout 17 Jun 2022
In reply to Fraser:

> Could you clamp a narrow, timber 'deck' onto the bars and shunt the fixing points for your existing box forward, thereby avoiding the need to make new holes in it?

That's one option, but not aesthtically pleasing in wood - might get away with doing that with an old set of roof bars, though

I've actually considered the opposite - drill a couple of extra holes in the box and put a couple of bits of wood inside to support the front end, using the existing holes to screw through.

OP LastBoyScout 19 Jun 2022
In reply to Cake:

Saw one again yesterday - Thule Motion 600, I think it was.

So they definitely exist, I just need more research...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...