CAMP crampon - anti balling plates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whimbrel 03 Feb 2023

Hi

I have some second hand crampons made by CAMP which I was given (so can't look a gift house in mouth) and are great except for their lack of anti balling plates. They are an old model although appear to be similar to the current Stalker Universal model (again, except for not having the plates). I can't seem to find anyone in the UK selling CAMP brand (or CAMP compatible) anti balling plates separately. Does anyone know of any - or should I just cut my losses and get a new pair of crampons? I know it is theoretically possible to make a DIY set from plastic bottles but that option doesn't appeal as not really willing to bodge together something safety critical.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

MG 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

The bottle with plastic tie option works pretty well and it's basically the same as branded plates so not really a bodge  I'd at least try it before spending a lot on new crampons.

Even simpler is wrapping duct tape around them.

Duck123 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

I have similar Camp 10 point crampons. The anti balling plates are just a 3-4mm rubber material stretched between the spikes. They aren't the strongest and have started to tear at a couple of points. I'm keeping an eye on mine and if they get worse I'm sure I can source suitable replacement material and remake them (but better!).

john1234 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

I use the tape version on my ski boot crampons, works fine.

SimonCRMC 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

As others have said, you'll be fine with duct tape etc.  Before anti-balling plates were as common as they are now, lots of us used this method (my crampons were also by CAMP) and it worked fine.

IainL 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

We used plastic bags over 50 years ago. 

TobyA 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

> I know it is theoretically possible to make a DIY set from plastic bottles but that option doesn't appeal as not really willing to bodge together something safety critical.

DIY ones work just as well as own brand ones, and having some is a lot better than having none. So if you can't buy any, it is really easy to make your own. The ones below are made from a big milk jug, a bit of gorilla tape around the edges little cable ties although I've replaced them with twists of green plastic-covered garden wire which is much harder wearing.

OP whimbrel 03 Feb 2023
In reply to whimbrel:

Thanks all, maybe I'll give the DIY approach a go...

In reply to whimbrel:

I made something similar to TobyA's plates for my microcrampons. HDPE works well- I used a 10 litre Adblue container that someone had thoughtfully chucked into the bottom of a roadside hedge, very tough. I also recommend making a cardboard template to get the size and shape right, and the use of twisted garden wire, as TobyA suggests (I tried cable ties but they snap off easily). Good luck.

https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/gear/diy-anti-balling-plates/

Post edited at 08:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...