Cameras under £400

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 O'Donopoo 20 Apr 2019

I'm in need of a decent camera and was wondering what camera people are using? Budget is between £300-£400 but ideally around £350. I'm basically looking for something compact enough for climbing and stuff which will work well in the cold (I can keep it dry but maybe not warm), while also being good quality and okay in low light.

So far thoughts are torn between Nikon D3500 and Canon EOS 300D. Any thoughts on either of those?

Cheers.

P.S. I'm sure this gets asked all the time but I couldn't find an answer when searching the old forum posts

BAdhoc 20 Apr 2019
In reply to O'Donopoo:

I’ve got the Olympus Pen, 5 or 7 I think. It a mirrorless so it’s pretty tiny, I use it with the 14mm Panasonic the most and fits in a pocket comfortably. Recently been used in Finland down to -20 and it seem to perform ok! I kept it as warm as I could, inside pocket etc and a spare battery in my chest pocket. 

The m43 cameras fit Panasonic and Olympus lenses which is useful too.

Myfyr Tomos 20 Apr 2019
In reply to O'Donopoo:

Have you considered second hand? Some amazing cameras going (reasonably) cheap. Try MPB or Wex Photography.

Graeme G 20 Apr 2019
In reply to O'Donopoo:

Recently bought a Sony A5100. Seriously impressed with the results so far. Bit beyond your budget but if you can push the boat out I can hugely recommend it.

In reply to O'Donopoo:

The Sony RX100 is pretty good and very light, light enough to wear on a cord round your neck and tuck down your t-shirt. The type 6 model is around £1,150 but the original version is £299 and is actually lighter as it doesn't have a rotating screen.

Like most small digital cameras it suffers from not having a view finder and eventually the sliding lens cover will start sticking, but by that time you will have hopefully got your money's worth out of it. And keeping it tucked inside your t-shirt seems to deal with the cold issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...